Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers

Article about: Arrived today, part of a broken trio but I did not have a 14-15 star in my collection. It has its original ribbon which is always best IMHO. Named to Private R. Astbury of the Royal Welsh Fu

?

Great medal with fantastic documents(Awesome Tom) to show the where and when about his service. What a shame to die at such a young age of cancer after dealing with the fighting and then being a POW of the Great War.
    Interesting to note that at those times they try to tie his service and contracting cancer. When it takes years for the our veteran service members to prove they were exposed to element that are carcinogenesis.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Phil. It is an interesting group and as you mention the regiment tried to find out if his service was the cause of his early death, though it seems it was never resolved and as such he was not classed as dying as a result of his service. A shame I only have his star medal, but even on its own it opens the door to the research potential as much as the full trio would have done.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry, I've just stumbled on this thread - and it interests me more because of the war diary entry for the attack on Serre. I've been working on my new book this morning, and I have just been covering a trench raid mounted by the 14th York & Lancaster's on June 3/4th 1916. I've included the 94th brigade war diary entry covering the raid - and also the plans for the raid. The point of entry in the German lines was directly in front of Matthew Copse, either from one of the Russian saps dug for use on July 1st, or from number 5 post on the front line. its a sobering thought that the Germans captured Serre in 1914. They were never driven out, and they chose to leave it in February 1917 when they reorganised their lines.

Apologies for the poor quality of the scans.

1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers

Interesting Steve. I just downloaded the war diary for the 15th Bn RWF including a trench raid by them and it will be added to the thread on Hanks 15th RWF, Late xmas present to me.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Hey Jerry.
    Is it just Welsh Medals you collect or uniforms too?

British Army Welsh Guards Officers Uniform Jacket | Trade Me

Quote by Danger View Post
    Hey Jerry.
    Is it just Welsh Medals you collect or uniforms too?

British Army Welsh Guards Officers Uniform Jacket | Trade Me
    Thanks for that mate.

I do collect uniforms but I am running out of room so they have to be pretty special for me to buy one these days and mostly that means either older and/or more interesting examples.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3