Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers

Article about: Arrived today, part of a broken trio but I did not have a 14-15 star in my collection. It has its original ribbon which is always best IMHO. Named to Private R. Astbury of the Royal Welsh Fu

Default 1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers

Arrived today, part of a broken trio but I did not have a 14-15 star in my collection. It has its original ribbon which is always best IMHO.

Named to Private R. Astbury of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, service # 24568.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Do you have the Medal Roll index card? If not I will find it for you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Do you have the Medal Roll index card? If not I will find it for you.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hi Ade,

no I don't as I don't have ancestry, so if you can find it and post it that would be very much appreciated.
    Regards,

Jerry

Just a mo...
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ralph Astbury
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers  

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Ralph Astbury
    Cool Ade, I'll have a look to see which Bn went to the Balkans in 1915.
    Regards,

Jerry

Probably part of the 11th service Bn, which went via France to Salonika at the matching dates. More research might change this.
    Regards,

Jerry

I am puzzled as to why the medal card states that he entered the Balkans theater in early September whereas the first Divisions to arrive on the Salonika front did so in October, with many units coming straight from Gallipoli. I'm not sure how they count entry into theater. Or maybe it was just a typo? Anyway, nice medal Jerry.

Indeed mate, a bit of a quandary on that, but they went via France on the dates shown above, so maybe if they were just in transit they got it mixed up.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, nice medal. You'll be interested to know that he was a POW, captured at Serre on 13 November 1916, with 10 RWF. He was repatriated at end of the war, but died of illness, aged 24, 12 June 1920.

Here are his pension records.

Cheers, Tom

1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers1914 15 star medal Pte. R. Astbury R. Welsh Fusiliers

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast