Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1914 Princess Mary Tin. 1914 - 2014

Article about: Hey guys, For Christmas this year I got a Princess Mary Tin. Nice way to honour the memory and history of Christmas 1914 - 2014. My son took quite a shining to it and tried to fit a lego tru

?

Default 1914 Princess Mary Tin. 1914 - 2014

Hey guys,

For Christmas this year I got a Princess Mary Tin.
    Nice way to honour the memory and history of Christmas 1914 - 2014.

My son took quite a shining to it and tried to fit a lego truck in it.
    There were tears when I took it away, there would've been tears if he broke the lid off as well.....

cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Princess Mary Tin. 1914 - 2014   1914 Princess Mary Tin. 1914 - 2014  

Very nice, these are so iconic of the first year of the great war and so apt at this time of year.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Cheers mate,
    I've wanted one for 20 years since I first saw my mates Princess Mary Tin.
    Although I remember his as being smaller.
    Did they come in different sizes? I heard some had pipes and tobacco etc... and lollies.
    Were they filled with all the same goodies or was it a lucky dip?
    Was there a difference between British tins and New Zealand tins maybe?

The official tins are all the same size, but the contents varied, the most common seems to have been with a packet of tobacco and cigarettes inside, a xmas card, some photos and in the cardboard box they were packed in there was a pen and a pipe. Other versions could contain sweets, or spices depending on who they were intended for.

Collections Search for "princess mary's gift to the troops" | Imperial War Museums
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Princess Mary Tin. 1914 - 2014  
    Regards,

Jerry

I like the display above very much . I didn't get to display mine anywhere except on facebook page !

Quote by Rob truscott View Post
    I like the display above very much . I didn't get to display mine anywhere except on facebook page !
    Rob, that is the display from the IWM WWI gallery. I wish I could claim to have mine that well displayed, but my tin is empty, though it is on show.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Princess Mary Tin. 1914 - 2014  
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
    I see . Your display is nice to ... more homely ! I cant remember the way they displayed the Princess Mary tin at IWM . I was ambivalent as to the improvement on the WW1 galleries . Somehow the old ones had more effect. The ramp leading down to WW1 displays more clearly layed out . lines of uniforms on manikins undisturbed by other artifacts . I suppose what we collectors look for isn't always how a museum works . The French do museums best for WW1 perhaps ?

Indeed Rob, I did not enjoy the new layout as much as I remember enjoying it on previous visits. As you say, perhaps not designed for collectors, more for app driven, attention span deficit suffering youths.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Nice to see a bit of trench art in there. I see a bit of it come up from
    time to time.
    Some of it is really good.

Quote by Danger View Post
    Nice to see a bit of trench art in there. I see a bit of it come up from
    time to time.
    Some of it is really good.
    I have just the two pieces, one hand engraved for the 38th Welsh Div and the other very nicely beaten into the likeness of a woman.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Princess Mary Tin. 1914 - 2014   1914 Princess Mary Tin. 1914 - 2014  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast