Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1914 Trio And Defence Medal Group

Article about: Hi all. Just wanted to share this group that I was lucky enough to receive for xmas. I have been after an 1914 star for a while so for me this is a super group. The group is to Leonard A Ter

Default 1914 Trio And Defence Medal Group

Hi all. Just wanted to share this group that I was lucky enough to receive for xmas. I have been after an 1914 star for a while so for me this is a super group. The group is to Leonard A Terry who served as a Gunner then as a Bombardier in the Royal Artillery, initially in the 25th Brigade. He then re-enlisted in the RAF in 1920 and became a member of the RAF Police, a role I assume he also put to good use during WW2 as the defence medal has also been privately engraved with L. A. Terry, RMP. The clasp is a copy, but the MIC says he was entitled to wear it so I will leave it on for now.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Trio And Defence Medal Group   1914 Trio And Defence Medal Group  

1914 Trio And Defence Medal Group  

Very nice group!

Very nice mate, cracking to see it with the named WWII medal as well, really adds to it.

I also want a 1914 star group, but finding one to one of the Welsh regiments has proven difficult. I missed a 14 star a few days back on a dealers site, though it was just the star. I would have really liked to have got it though as he was 1st BN RWF which is the regiment I most like to have one to.

There was a 14 star trio on the bay about a week back to the 2/bn Notts & Derby which was sensibly priced at £125 compared to many I see these days. It was a buy it now and lasted about half a day on the bay.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

well done mate.

NCA
    ?

Nice group to an 'Old Contemptible'...!

Also nice to see the original ribbons on them too..

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah, I like it when they come with the original ribbons, although the Victory medal one may well give up with too much handling so will be careful.

Jerry, the prices of these do seem to be quite steep, although I have it on good authority that this group was quite reasonably priced

I think that the price reflects what they are, it is just finding one to particular units that can be difficult and for some they are more expensive than they are for others. This is a cracking good group, 14 star and an engraved WWII medal as part of it, you can't go wrong mate.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Try trademe.co.nz
    I have seen a few WW1 medals of the welsh regiments listed here.
    good luck.

I just got a group myself as a xmas present to myself.

Named 1914-15 Star, British War medal, and Victory Medal to:
    2326 Spr. G.D. Keeler. R.E.

Just a slight update on my group. I have just pulled his Medal Index Card, a print out of the top halt of which was provided with the group by the seller, however am I reading correctly from the bottom half that the British War medal and Victory medal are replacements or is it just my eyes? If so, do you think it is worth taking up with the seller as I know such things can affect the desirability/ value of a group and I find it a bit deceitful that the bottom portion was not sent with the top half to be honest, as it downloads as a single image.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1914 Trio And Defence Medal Group  

kc1
    ?

I'd leave it as it is, its part of the history of the group. He must have been awarded his original group after discharge. He has enlisted in the RAF presumably after being discharged at the end of hostilities possibly as for so many there was no other employment available. A no choice enlistment might indicate the prior sale of his original BWM, being made of silver, the only medal with any intrinsic value, only to be found out when required for a parade perhaps. Hence the request for a replacement. Usually a replacement was indicated with an R being stamped on the rim with the other details.
    Again i wouldnt worry over much about the 'copy' bar. These had to be applied for, not issued as a right with the star, using forms available from the post office amongst other places and were readily available from the likes of gents outfitters where you went to get your miniatures for your dinner jacket, if you were someone who could afford to dine out, hence the other description 'tailors copy'.
    If he did sell it then it leaves open the happy thought that there may be another BWM , if it avoided the smelter, and that would be a very interesting reunite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast