Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1915 dated british cavalry troopers saddle and equipment display

Article about: This is an ongoing restoration project of a 1912 pattern universal saddle of the British Army in my collection. I recently sourced the issue type wallets which have the distinctive grain to

Default 1915 dated british cavalry troopers saddle and equipment display

This is an ongoing restoration project of a 1912 pattern universal saddle of the British Army in my collection. I recently sourced the issue type wallets which have the distinctive grain to the leather. My 08 sword frog/ shoe pouch is an earlier type with two fixing loops wheras the saddle has for one so i havent fixed it. The rifle case im searching for still ! The lance has an ash wooden shaft rather than bamboo and goes back into Victorian years .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1915 dated british cavalry troopers saddle and equipment display  

Very nice set up and interesting to see.

HA the good old days.

Its really hard to research saddlery and obviously space is a reason many dont bother . The date and maker stamp along with WD mark i photographed. It would appear that issue saddles were sold off to farms after the war or left in France along with so many of the horses sadly .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1915 dated british cavalry troopers saddle and equipment display   1915 dated british cavalry troopers saddle and equipment display  

1915 dated british cavalry troopers saddle and equipment display  

A cool bit of kit, but as you say, a b#gger to display.

Rob,

Very nice--Those ash lances are hard to find. It would look good with my 12th Lancers SD jacket. :-)

Have you been to society of the Military horse forum? Lots of UP saddle collectors frequent that forum.

Society of the Military Horse • Index page

Joe

Very Nice UPS 1912 Rob. Congrats on her mate.
    Here's a link to my two Australian examples.
    UPS 1902 Fixed Tree incomplete and a UP1912 complete (some replacement leather)

ALH Universal Pattern Saddles 1902 and 1912

All the best

Dave