Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?

Article about: I bought this from a pawn shop the other day...paid far more than I usually would, this is Dated 1916 and it is a Lithglow..but there appears to be a unit marking on it..any ideas or any int

?

Default 1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?

I bought this from a pawn shop the other day...paid far more than I usually would, this is Dated 1916 and it is a Lithglow..but there appears to be a unit marking on it..any ideas or any interest?

Dean O
    Canada

1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?1916 Dated Lithglow, Unit marked?

?

Dean O

The 2MD marking on the cross guard refers to the Australian 2nd Military District (Eastern Command, New South Wales) which I believe refers to where the bayonet was first issued. New South Wales is a state similar to your provinces. Not sure but I think the number after the 2MD is a rack or serial number. Does the scabbard have any markings? Do you mind if I ask how much it set you back? I'm yet to add one to my collection. In Australia any pre ww2 Lithgow is expensive and the ww1 dated ones are crazy prices.

Alex

?

Thank you for that info. I have sent you a PM

Dean O

Alex is correct about MD 2..my understanding about "Australia" on the grip is that they were made for export...Alex a non quillon Lithgow isnt that expensive...its as soon as that hook is on it then you are talking thousands

?

Well I have a ground dug Hooked Quillon on line for sale right now, on the US well known and hated website....I was told it was found by a Canadian visiting a Well known WW1 Aussie Battlefield, and a very harsh one..but I really have no proof of that..and it is complete from end to end, most have the tips or larger parts of the blades broken off, too bad it was cleaned..however as it is complete..I do believe it came out of sandy soil

Dean O
    Canada

Also from the photos i couldnt see a clearing hole so it probably wasnt re issued and i cant see any reissue marks....In 1915 Lithgow changed the scabbard, with a circular stud and 3 rivets from the teardrop design

Heres one i picked up..no serial number Australian issue, very very rare
    British Enfield P-1907 Hook Quillon Bayonet

?

Did you buy that one from Canada this year....If so I know where it came from.

And by the way, you guys really know these things..to me they are P-07s with interesting markings..thats why we are all here, we learn from each other.

Thank you again

DEan O

No not Canada mate..picked it up about 20 minutes from home