I was at the Liverpool arms fair yesterday, and I picked up this rather interesting British officer's map case which was made by R R Bristow and dated 1918. The contents were included in the sale, and the whole lot was very modestly priced at £100 from the stall of Andy Taylor.

There are five area maps which cover Dunkerque, Calais, Abbeville, Tournai and Hazebrouck. There is also a protractor and ruler. On opening the map of Hazebrouck it immediately became obvious that the main area of attention to the owner of the map was the area just west of Ypres. There are various notations made in this area. I would assume these positions were towards the very end of the war. On another of the maps is marked... 11am, 11-11-18 in very light pencil. there are also pencil lines which roughly indicate the British lines at the end of the war. Unfortunately it is impossible to say how long this has been marked on the map.

1918 dated leather map case1918 dated leather map case1918 dated leather map case1918 dated leather map case1918 dated leather map case1918 dated leather map case1918 dated leather map case