MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 binos and 1 case

Article about: Picked these up today, Boer war type binos made by Army & Navy Paris, Broad arrow marked and dated 1916 case, which the binos will just fit into. Also broad arrow marked WWI type binos,

Default 2 binos and 1 case

Picked these up today, Boer war type binos made by Army & Navy Paris, Broad arrow marked and dated 1916 case, which the binos will just fit into. Also broad arrow marked WWI type binos, again French made civilian type but officially accepted for WD service. The SIII mark is a grading system used during WWI for accepted civilian binoculars.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 binos and 1 case   2 binos and 1 case  

2 binos and 1 case  
    Last edited by Jerry B; 11-08-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice case, Jerry. Condition wise I don't think they come much better The binos are nice too

Indeed James, the case is nearly mint and clearly arrow marked and dated which is really good to see. The Binos are not too bad when you think how old they are.
    Regards,

Jerry

Nice set Jerry!

A bit late I know - but currently looking for a set - preferably binoculars and case and used in aviation. Yes, I know it's a big ask!

Saw one on Fleabay that I thought was worth a shot, but lost out on it.

If anyone has a link I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers
    Tim

I think the Army Navy Paris glasses Cases are more harder to find than the glasses themselves! I think I remember seeing a pair just like them in a box the other day while I was rooting around looking for something. I'll have to look again-now I'm curious....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yep - the case Jerry showed is in absolutely pristine condition...minus the strap.

Quote by Allegra View Post
    Nice set Jerry!

A bit late I know - but currently looking for a set - preferably binoculars and case and used in aviation. Yes, I know it's a big ask!

Saw one on Fleabay that I thought was worth a shot, but lost out on it.

If anyone has a link I'd be eternally grateful.

Cheers
    Tim
    Tim, any idea if flyers used a specific type?

there often sets of WWI binos on ebay, but I would not be able to tell if they were flyers or not.
    Regards,

Jerry

Interesting question Jerry.

As far as I am able to tell, there are some that are marked with the /|\, WD and a Capital 'O' for Observer. This is usually on the case itself rather than on the binoculars. The ones so marked are not of any one particular make.

Because of the shortage of binoculars notably with the Brits and French, they took and used anything for the longest time. Certainly it was not uncommon for people to donate binoculars to the War Effort. You may see a 'double' Broadhead symbol ( the apex facing each other) - it simply means that they have been decommissioned and put back to civilian use.

The US did have quite a number that were marked US ARMY SIGNAL CORPS and while these did see service in the Aviation Corps - they were also used elsewhere.

I am always looking on eBay for these. As intimated I missed out on a pair - they were very nice, but according to the literature I've seen, they went for far too high a price. Someone definitely wanted them.

Cheers
    Tim

So hard in the main to tell if a set was issued to flyers, unless they are WD O marked, but otherwise they would have used those they could get and most of them would not be marked specifically to RFC. Probably explains why a correctly marked set might attract a premium price.
    Regards,

Jerry

Absolutely! I think it's a bit of toss up with what may have been used in aviation in WW1. Sort of blind faith. All you have to do is look at streamers, flying helmets, coats, etc.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast