MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

22nd Battalion AIF

Article about: Gday all, My great grandfather served in the 22nd battalion AIF from Gallipoli to the end and as a result one of the themes of my collections is the 22nd. His medals were divided amongst the

Default 22nd Battalion AIF

Gday all,

My great grandfather served in the 22nd battalion AIF from Gallipoli to the end and as a result one of the themes of my collections is the 22nd. His medals were divided amongst the relatives and unfortunately one was stolen. If anyone has any photos of the 22nd particulary D Company id love to see them or if they have any associated militaria for sale i may be interested. I just picked up his commanding officers BWM and have a few other sets to D coy.

Default Re: 22nd Battalion AIF

I meant to add that he was a sniper in Gallipoli and would like to know if there was a record of kills kept. I know that the famous snipers like Billy Sings record was kept so i wondered where there might be some info as there is nothing mentioned in his service record or the battalion history though i have not yet read the battalion diary.

LeoMc
    ?

Default Re: 22nd Battalion AIF

Gday gnome45

I have been researching my wife's Great Uncle, Lt Leo McCartin M.C. who was an original with the 22nd. Went to Gallipoli as a private, was commissioned after Pozieres.

He was killed at Herleville on 18 August 1918 when he was in command of D Company of the 22nd Battalion.

I'd be interested to hear any info you might have of your G-grandfathers service with the 22nd

Cheers

LeoMc