Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

2nd. Lt. William F. Nice, DSC, SS, PH - USMC. 2nd. Div, 49th CO., 5th. Rgt. WWI

Article about: From the Library of Congress "Stories from the Veteran's History Project" William Frederick Nice: Veterans History Project (Library of Congress By the time the United States entere

Arrow 2nd. Lt. William F. Nice, DSC, SS, PH - USMC. 2nd. Div, 49th CO., 5th. Rgt. WWI

From the Library of Congress "Stories from the Veteran's History Project"

William Frederick Nice: Veterans History Project (Library of Congress

By the time the United States entered World War I, William Frederick Nice was a 12-year Marine veteran of campaigns in Haiti, Santo Domingo, Mexico, and Cuba. Nice fought in some of the Great War's fiercest battles, serving in the 49th Company whose slogan was "We tame the tough ones and toughen the tame ones." The exploits of the 49th inspired a popular book, Fix Bayonets!, and Nice's own adventures earned him the colorful nickname "Gunner Nice of the Devil-Dogs."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. William F. Nice, DSC, SS, PH - USMC. 2nd. Div, 49th CO., 5th. Rgt. WWI  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. William F. Nice, DSC, SS, PH - USMC. 2nd. Div, 49th CO., 5th. Rgt. WWI

French made 2nd. pattern Distinguished Service Cross.

It appears that the French not only made versions of the 1st. pattern (and very short-lived design), but also the final approved 2nd. pattern. Both versions of the cross have identical reverses...

Click on photos for high resolution views.

Obverse:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2nd. Lt. William F. Nice, DSC, SS, PH - USMC. 2nd. Div, 49th CO., 5th. Rgt. WWI  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 2nd. Lt. William F. Nice, DSC, SS, PH - USMC. 2nd. Div, 49th CO., 5th. Rgt. WWI

Reverse:

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Bailey Banks & Biddle 1932 Contract Silver Star Medal. The Lt. would have received the Citation Certificate and would have been entitled to wear a 3/16 in. silver star on his Victory Medal. In 1932, this certificate became the Silver Star Medal, and the Lt. was entitled to the award in its new present form.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Note the company's name on the reverse suspension pad. This medal has a number on the lower arm of the star (not shown), and the engraving is officially done by hand.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

The Citation Certificate mentioned above.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]