Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

50 pence well spent or how research can really pay off

Article about: Hi Guys, I bought this single identity disk many years at an aviation show for 50p. I bought it because it was named to a man with my family name of Stevenson. The disk is a Canadian WW1 iss

Default Re: 50 pence well spent or how research can really pay off

Ade, great research on this man. It is quite amazing that you were
    able to find out so much about him from a name on a disc.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Very cool, makes me want to go and dig through everything to find a name to chase.

Thanks Steve.

I got a real kick out of researching this one. My real enjoyment than spending a large amount of money on a more "glamorous" item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Wow...what a super cool story to go with that tag. That troop being part of the RNWMP, he would have been tough as nails BEFORE being part of Vimy. The Mounties only took hard men into the ranks, which would explain why he survived being enlisted in the 46th "Suicide Battalion". That is an incredibly rare dog tag you have Ade...

Great research, Adrian.

The 46th Bn. CEF was the subject of "The Suicide Battalion" by James L. McWilliams and R.James Steel published by Hurtig, Edmonton in 1978.

It's a few years since I read the book and can't spot F.Stevenson. (However D.R.Stevenson figures prominently).

Of course, many units in WW1 referred to themselves as being suicidally inclined (for good reason), but the 46th Bn. certainly paid their dues.

Best regards,

Pat

Thanks Guys. Glad you liked the read.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

absolutely fantastic. what a buy!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123