Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian 10th batt. Helmet

Article about: Hello gentleman and ladies, Been holding off on purchases to save up for something really nice, and im liking the look of this helmet. This will be a big purchase for me so Id like to get so

Default Canadian 10th batt. Helmet

Hello gentleman and ladies,

Been holding off on purchases to save up for something really nice, and im liking the look of this helmet. This will be a big purchase for me so Id like to get some opinions on it before I go forward with anything.

Thank you very much,

Quinn

Canadian 10th batt. HelmetCanadian 10th batt. HelmetCanadian 10th batt. HelmetCanadian 10th batt. Helmet

a very nice helmet!

The battalion flash paint has been touched up at some point with a coat or two over the original one. You can see paint filling in areas of previous loss. Not the best example and not the worst. Don't pay a premium for it though.

A nice lid to have. I wonder how much you will have to pay to get it, Canadian items tend to be quite pricey, especially flashed helmets.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I've spoken to the seller and he is asking $550 CAD (which is $417 USD, 373 Euro, or 270 British pounds for those of you not in Canada).

I know that an items is worth what you are willing to pay, but I also want to make sure this is a reasonable price to pay.

Thank you again!

Hi Matthew,
    well ultimately it is up to you. I would buy it if it were me in your place even with the condition and caveat above,it is a fair price. It is a great CEF unit ( I have a 10 Bn with the cap badge stenciled on front vs. the formation patch) other lids in same or better condition to other CEF units seem to be ranging from 650-950 USD these days fro CDN dealers. I have yet to see CEF kit decrease in price so your money is safe if you needed to move i along (to me for instance ) Good luck!

BTW any provenance with it?

Thanks for the reply Asterperious! I'm not sure about provenance, will ask the seller. Also, if you look close, you can see that the helmet is repainted gray. Does this mean anything? Does this make it post war?

I am not seeing grey paint really, some the greens have a grey cast to them, I suspect at some point in time it was varnished and lost paint in weird ways due to poor storage in a shed or damp basement leading to patchy rust. It has been retouched at some point long ago - my bet is for a reunion, parade or pilgrimage. The 1918 era paint is underneath. The vast majority of CEF painted helmets you find now were done for victory parades and coming home and were not field used, so it hard to what the genuine course of events is on these things. They are being faked now especially out west in Edmonton and surface on ebay or out of the maritimes. Without having it in hand it is hard to say but the condition here suggests 'real' with old retouching.

Thanks for your reply! I'm quite sure there is gray paint, look at how the paint inside the dome is more green than the rest. You're probably correct regarding the post armistice paint for parades and reunions.