Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Acting 2nd Corporal John L Devoy 503/4481 Royal Engineers

Article about: Victory medal for John L Devoy, missing its suspension loop and its ribbon and sadly been allowed to tarnish up but it seemed a shame to leave it in the shop. His MIC is available but I have

Default Acting 2nd Corporal John L Devoy 503/4481 Royal Engineers

Victory medal for John L Devoy, missing its suspension loop and its ribbon and sadly been allowed to tarnish up but it seemed a shame to leave it in the shop.

His MIC is available but I have not stumped up the £3.30 to download it. The IWM lives of the great war show he had two numbers and also gave me his first name as the medal is marked just to 503 A.2.CPL. J.L.DEVOY. It also gave me two service numbers for him, but no other details and as I mention I would have to pay the fee to read it. He is not on the CWGC site so I assume he survived the war. I don't know where he was from or anything else about him, yet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Acting 2nd Corporal John L Devoy 503/4481 Royal Engineers   Acting 2nd Corporal John L Devoy 503/4481 Royal Engineers  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Not in the best condition but a good find.

well saved.

Medal card

Can't find a service record at the moment - will update if anything found.

Discharge Unit - Royal Engineers 445 Welsh Res. Fld. Co. 9 [from Silver Wound Badge Records]

Enlisted 04/09/1914
    Discharged aged 30 23/11/1917 [sickness] Wound badge number 291970

I think he could well be John Lawrence Devoy born 1886 in Horyside Carmarthen. Resided Carmarthen St Peter. Occupation Board of Trade [Bankruptcy] Clerk

Died [I think] December 1926 Carmathen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Acting 2nd Corporal John L Devoy 503/4481 Royal Engineers  

It might not be mint but it has character!....

Quote by Richie B View Post
    Medal card

Can't find a service record at the moment - will update if anything found.

Discharge Unit - Royal Engineers 445 Welsh Res. Fld. Co. 9 [from Silver Wound Badge Records]

Enlisted 04/09/1914
    Discharged aged 30 23/11/1917 [sickness] Wound badge number 291970

I think he could well be John Lawrence Devoy born 1886 in Horyside Carmarthen. Resided Carmarthen St Peter. Occupation Board of Trade [Bankruptcy] Clerk

Died [I think] December 1926 Carmathen.
    Brilliant Ritchie, much appreciated.

I bought it in Carmarthen today, so very likely he is the man you think. Any chance you can post an image of the SWB roll?
    Regards,

Jerry

I notice he is down as having first served in Egypt, as indicated by a 3.
    Regards,

Jerry

Jerry

As requested
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Acting 2nd Corporal John L Devoy 503/4481 Royal Engineers  

Thanks for that Ritchie. So cool to find out he was a local man and served at least some of his time with a Welsh unit.
    Regards,

Jerry

After charging the batteries for my better camera, here is the naming showing the unusual rank Acting 2nd Corporal only used by the RE and a few other units prior to 1920.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Acting 2nd Corporal John L Devoy 503/4481 Royal Engineers   Acting 2nd Corporal John L Devoy 503/4481 Royal Engineers  

Regards,

Jerry