Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Am I missing something?

Article about: Just browsing the bay looking for bayonets, and came across this: "Bayonet Training book" http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bayonet-Tr...item4abd583a70 They needed training to use a bayone

?

Default Am I missing something?

Just browsing the bay looking for bayonets, and came across this:

"Bayonet Training book"
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bayonet-Tr...item4abd583a70

They needed training to use a bayonet? How hard can it be? I mean, even I get the gist of "raise bayonet" and "insert into enemy."
    Attached Images Attached Images Am I missing something?  Am I missing something? 

?

Default Re: Am I missing something?

Morning Nick I think there is a little more involved in this Manual ,such as key points as were to insert a bayonet as well as some defensive manouvers as to how to defend your self in a bayonet attack .
    There as well maybe information on using the bayonet as a fighting knife but I can not say for shur as I have never had a chance to thumb through this manual.

Regards Mark K

NickM: In WWI, the bayonet attached to the end of a rifle was still considered a primary infantry weapon. Using a bayonet requires considerable training and conditioning; it isn't as easy as simply thrust, jab, and poke. There are several coordinated moves that are used to parry a thrust aimed at you, and to react following the parry so that you can disable the enemy and then kill him with a final thrust. Fighting with a bayonet is certainly a primitive way to fight, but if you are at close quarters with the enemy and out of ammunition, or otherwise unable to load your weapon, the bayonet is all you have left to defend yourself. If you are up against an enemy who has been well trained in bayonet fighting, you had better hope your training was as good or better, because one of you is going to get stuck. We still trained with the bayonet in the US Army into the 1950's. I don't know if they still do or not. But in WWI, the bayonet was a lethal weapon that saw a lot of use. Dwight

Indeed. I have Small Arms Training manual, "Bayonet", dated 1942 in my collection.

At some of our living history events we do bayonet training.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hey Nick,
    They also trained soldiers to shoot, and that is point and click technology. Actually, someone untrained in the used of a bayonet is going to be the one with the bayonet stuck into him, it is a form of fencing (and not the kind I do) and I think that you can see how training makes a swordsman better at his (or her) skill.
    Best
    Gus

There is a bit more to it than; 'Raise Bayonet' and 'Insert into enemy.' It is not an easy thing to do - sticking a bayonet into someone. It is about as close and personal as you may get to your enemy. Some found it much harder to do than shoot them.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Indeed. I have Small Arms Training manual, "Bayonet", dated 1942 in my collection.

At some of our living history events we do bayonet training.

Cheers, Ade.
    With a real bayonet if you don't like your training partner

They don't like it up them. Even during WWII you still get many accounts when the British & Commonwealth forces went in with the bayonet and the Germans did not like it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    They don't like it up them. Even during WWII you still get many accounts when the British & Commonwealth forces went in with the bayonet and the Germans did not like it.
    Yes, the Siege of Tobruk for instance, the Germans were scared to death of the Aussies and their bayonets. Many probing German attacks were repelled by forward defensive lines of Australian and possibly New Zealanders, can’t remember properly with their bayonets

?

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast