Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Anyone live near the RFC airfield in Stockbridge Hants?

Article about: I am hoping someone on the forum may live near Stockbridge and could take some modern photos for me. Here is an excerpt from a letter I have written by a RFC pilot stationed there. Stockbrid

Default Anyone live near the RFC airfield in Stockbridge Hants?

I am hoping someone on the forum may live near Stockbridge and could take some modern photos for me. Here is an excerpt from a letter I have written by a RFC pilot stationed there.

Stockbridge
    17 Feb. 1918

Ruth dearest,

Here I am out in rural England in Hampshire. I am billeted in the fishing cottage of Lord Harewood on the edge of the little village of Longstock about a mile away from Stockbridge. It is a very comfortable house, not very modern, but it does well enough. The beds are especially good and I sleep in one that has two feather ticks. There are seven officers here and we have one orderly who looks after our boots, our mess and rooms. We mess at the Governor Hotel in Stockbridge.

The River Test, which is full of trout, runs a few feet back of the house. We would call it a creek in our country. The fish are protected by some law or order, so the trout show themselves with carelessness that would seem suicidal in fishing season. I saw one near the stone bridge today that would have tempted your Father to break the law.

Default Re: Anyone live near the RFC airfield in Stockbridge Hants?

I will be back to Winchester this month , and at some point before mid may should be able to get up to Stockbridge . I dont know what is around regarding an old airfield but can make enquiries
    Regards Robert

Quote by Rob truscott View Post
    I will be back to Winchester this month , and at some point before mid may should be able to get up to Stockbridge . I dont know what is around regarding an old airfield but can make enquiries
    Regards Robert
    Any luck Rob? I'd be interested if that fishing cottage of Lord Harewood is still standing.

Henry George Charles Lascelles, 6th Earl of Harewood KG GCVO DSO TD (9 September 1882 – 23 May 1947), styled The Honourable Henry Lascelles before 1892 and Viscount Lascelles between 1892 and 1929, was a British soldier and landowner. He died at the age of 64 at his home, Harewood House, six months before the wedding of his niece Princess Elizabeth.

Here's a photo of the squadron Mess, it's actually called the Grosvenor Hotel and is, as you say in Stockbridge.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Anyone live near the RFC airfield in Stockbridge Hants? 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I found this web page giving a list of airfields in Hampshire: Hampshire Airfields Index

Using this and Google Map, the Chattis Hill RFC airfield is the closest to the village of Longstock (2 miles away by road). Using the aerial view of Longstock, you can also make a good guess where the 'cottage' is likely to be, as it has to be very close to the river. I don't think Longstock has changed much. I would guess it's probably at the south end of the village, just NE of the intersection of Longstock Rd and Bottom Road, as this would fit the general description in the letter.

Rob

mpw
    ?

Playing with street view I found this nice old cottage by the river on the Longstock road. In recent years you can see it has been extended somewhat but I think it started off as a nice old cottage by the river.

Mark.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Anyone live near the RFC airfield in Stockbridge Hants?  

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    I found this web page giving a list of airfields in Hampshire: Hampshire Airfields Index

Using this and Google Map, the Chattis Hill RFC airfield is the closest to the village of Longstock (2 miles away by road). Using the aerial view of Longstock, you can also make a good guess where the 'cottage' is likely to be, as it has to be very close to the river. I don't think Longstock has changed much. I would guess it's probably at the south end of the village, just NE of the intersection of Longstock Rd and Bottom Road, as this would fit the general description in the letter.

Rob
    I agree with Rob, it must be Chattis Hill. From the date of his letter February 17th 1918 I would surmise that he was on strength with one of two squadrons based there at this time.

Either 92 Sqn. who were there from September 15th 1917 until March (?) 1918 flying Avro 504K's, Sopwith Pups and Spad XII's.

Or 95 Sqn. who arrived September 1st 1917 departed (?) operating SE5A's.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by mpw View Post
    Playing with street view I found this nice old cottage by the river on the Longstock road. In recent years you can see it has been extended somewhat but I think it started off as a nice old cottage by the river.

Mark.
    I think that might well be it. It's closer to Stockbridge and the Aerodrome than where I was thinking, and it is right on the river, and looks to have a stone bridge right next to it

Rob

Quote by big ned View Post
    I agree with Rob, it must be Chattis Hill. From the date of his letter February 17th 1918 I would surmise that he was on strength with one of two squadrons based there at this time.

Either 92 Sqn. who were there from September 15th 1917 until March (?) 1918 flying Avro 504K's, Sopwith Pups and Spad XII's.

Or 95 Sqn. who arrived September 1st 1917 departed (?) operating SE5A's.

Regards, Ned.
    Hello Ned, Yes that is right, Tommy was with 92 Squadron until he was sent to 74 as a replacment in May 1918.