Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Anzac day

Article about:

Default Anzac day

The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

A very special day for both Australia and Zealand today and indeed all nationalities who have faced war and conflict.
    I paid a special visit to long to friend and relative Vincent Fraser aged 93. Fraser at the age of 18 became a petty officer on the HMAS Australia in 1941 and would serve with her until 1945. Wounded once by enemy fire and once by a Japanese kamikaze strike 1945.
    His battle honors include:
    Atlantic 1940–41
    Pacific 1941–43
    Coral Sea 1942
    Savo Island 1942
    Guadalcanal 1942
    New Guinea 1942–44
    Leyte Gulf 1944
    Lingayen Gulf 1945

The Australia in 1945
    Anzac day

Attached are my two photos of him signed on this very special day.
    Anzac day

Lest we Forget
    Morris

Went to the local dawn service this morning very early , also found a few WW1 paper items I thought I lost . This postcard is from Lieut Wilfred saying thanks for the smokes 1916
    David Jones Ltd Sydney .

Only a few years later he won the Military cross ,

19th Btn A.I.F.

During the operations on morning of 8th Aug, 1918, East of AMIENS, this officer rendered invaluable service in establishing and maintaining communications between Battn. H.Q. and attacking troops. With two signallers he followed closely in rear of the fourth wave, laying wires as he went forward. His perseverance and determination resulted in the establishing of telephonic communication immediately the objective was taken. This work was carried out under most trying circumstances, the party being continually subjected to enemy machine gun and artillery fire, and although the wires were repeatedly broken they were quickly repaired.

On the 9th Aug. 1918 during a further attack on FRAMERVILLE which his battalion was supporting, this officer again worked untiringly and established and maintained telephonic communication which enabled the two attacking Battalions to obtain information and report progress of the attack.

On the 11th Aug. 1918 during a further attack on FRAMERVILLE by his battalion, this officer again went forward with the attacking troops, and although again subjected to consistent enemy machine gun fire he succeeded in establishing telephonic communication soon after the objective had been gained.

Anzac day
    Anzac day

Lest we Forget
    Last edited by Australia; 04-26-2015 at 07:26 AM.

Went to our local Dawn service this morning, a huge turnout which was great. My Great grandfather enlisted at age 37 and served in France with the 28th Bat. A.I.F. from 1916 to 1918. His two sons served with the 2/4th Aust. Machine Gun Bat. in WW2, they were both taken prisoner by the Japanese, one survived the Burma railway as a slave labourer, the other did not. One grandfather died in Queensland after contracting meningitis during training, one of his brothers in the 2/7th Inf.Bat. was K.I.A. in Bardia, north Africa, another brother in the 2/4th Inf. Bat. was taken P.O.W. on Crete after being machine gunned by a German fighter plane the day before the German invasion.

It's hard to believe the Gallipoli landings were 100 years ago.

Lest we Forget.

in 2 world wars things would have been a lot tougher if it had not been for the Anzacs.bless em.

Here are some pics of Elephant Rock in Currumbin Gold Coast where the Local service was held .

Anzac dayAnzac dayAnzac dayAnzac dayAnzac day

A huge thanks to the people of Turkey too, they are just incredible in the respectful way they treat our fallen considering we were there as part of an invasion attempt, I think they are terrific and can't be praised or thanked enough.