MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

armored shield from ww1-1915y-Wich country and for what??

Article about: hello guy,s.Just recently i obtained from dealer such shield.It is quite heavy-for sure not for infantry rifleman to carry around and use for trenc line protection.Construction makes me thin

Default armored shield from ww1-1915y-Wich country and for what??

hello guy,s.Just recently i obtained from dealer such shield.It is quite heavy-for sure not for infantry rifleman to carry around and use for trenc line protection.Construction makes me think that it was made for some armored car,train,or artilery gun.Shield has lot of white green collor on it with some spots of more darker green as camo or something like that.Also there is two markings on lower corners-IMPHY in one corner and 1915 in other corner.
    My question is -does enybody recognize what for it,s been made and wich country?? Could it be English made ???-there was military support from England for Latvian riflemans with war equipment-so could it be from UK?Or it came from somhere else.
    Also i would be thankfull if somebody could say what it worth-as it,s not my field of interest and i plan to sell it.
    THANKS IN ADWANCE.

- - Updated - -

Picture 240.jpg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture armored shield from ww1-1915y-Wich country and for what??   armored shield from ww1-1915y-Wich country and for what??  

armored shield from ww1-1915y-Wich country and for what??  
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: armored shield from ww1-1915y-Wich country and for what??

Looks similar to the WW1 type sniper shields

Looks ideal for the top of a trench, or imbedded in sand bags...this one looks to be purpose made, rather than the others I have seen that we're made inbh trenches

?

Looks like a WW1 Trench shield quite often used by snipers , the weight wouldn't have been a major factor as they were built into the static trench systems !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

YE guy,s it just looks simmilar-but weight and additional loops with holesshows it as part from some bigger construction.Loops are not removable.Angle of shield is fixed one way-Sniper shields usualy you can fix in angle you prefer.
    So i still think it,s made for something else ........

Not sure if this relevant but there is a French town called IMPHY where steel making has taken place.

Thankyou Richie B. Well if take shield as french-then still opened question-for what?Im very sure that by construction it could be used for some light tank or armored car or.....