Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Band of TEN Brothers in WW1

Article about: I saw this on my local news last night. Incredible they all survived! When the First World War broke out a century ago, thousands of young men answered the call to military duty, including t

Default Band of TEN Brothers in WW1

I saw this on my local news last night. Incredible they all survived!

When the First World War broke out a century ago, thousands of young men answered the call to military duty, including the Calvin brothers from York. The ten brothers, aged between 18 and 37 at the time of the outbreak, are thought to have been the largest group of siblings to have ever fought in a war and survived to come home.

Two of the brothers were already in the military for services to the British Empire, while the remaining eight joined up upon the release of iconic recruitment poster that saw Lord Kitchener’s face implore “Your country needs you!” Their unique tale earned them public thanks and congratulations from King George V, while their names were trumpeted in a recruitment drive and even broadcast in local cinemas. However, until now their story was lost in obscurity. It is only in the last week that their names became heard again as Michael Calpin, the grandson of Ernest Calpin who served on HMS Dreadnought, said “It’s an astonishing thing for ten brothers all to go to war and it’s highly unlikely it will ever happen again. I’m really pleased to think that what they did is being recognised.”

The eldest brother, Private John Calpin’s granddaughter Brenda Allison said “I’m very proud of our family history and of the way the brothers responded. They obviously had a very strong patriotic spirit. But from the very first day they got over to France it was an absolute bloodbath.” Guiness World Records has been reviewing the information on the brothers with the potential to include them in a new listing.

Band of TEN brothers: When the call came to serve King and Country, all the sons in one family went off to war. Amazingly, every one came home | Mail Online

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quite amazing on a number of levels.

Thanks for posting Nick.

Cheers

Good post Nick,

It reminds me of the Beechy brothers from Lincolnshire. Eight of them served, but they were not as lucky as the Calvin brothers, five of them being killed during the war.

After the war, their mother Amy Beechy was presented to the King and Queen and honoured by them for her sacrifice. In response to Queen Mary's condolences she replied:

"It was no sacrifice, Ma'am, I did not give them willingly."

Here's a link to their story.

The Royal Anglian and Royal Lincolnshire Regimental Association

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned another incredible story but this one is sad

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

A good story, and quite amazing that all ten survived the war; I would guess the odds would be astronomical that all got through that cataclysm.
    Many are aware of the five Sullivan brothers in the U.S. Navy of WWII, all who died when the cruiser USS Juneau was sunk in Nov., 1942.

BobS