Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Belgian 1914–1917 African Campaigns Commemorative Medal

Article about: Just love thise medal. It is a original time piece with makers marks! And it's original (pale!)ribbon.And a replacement ribbon, but I am not going to use that one. cheers |<ris

Default Belgian 1914–1917 African Campaigns Commemorative Medal

Just love thise medal.
    It is a original time piece with makers marks! And it's original (pale!)ribbon.And a replacement ribbon, but I am not going to use that one.
    cheers
    |<ris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Belgian 1914–1917 African Campaigns Commemorative Medal   Belgian 1914–1917 African Campaigns Commemorative Medal  

Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Very nice Chris, can you inform us by letting the forum know for what actions in Africa the medal was issued.

hey Robin,
    of course!
    The easyest is thise link to wikipedia;
    cheers
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks for posting. I had no idea about this medal and now want one If you are after more info on the Belgian campaign in Africa I would recommend Edward Paice's Tip and Run: The Untold Tragedy of the Great War in Africa as it has a bit about it in there. Cheers.

Didn't know that book, thanks for pointing it out!
    I will see to get it.
    Not much is know(even here in Belgium!!) about the African campaigns of Belgian troops and we did quiet well there, in all wars!
    Did you know that at the battle of SAIO,5 juli 1941, Italian troops surended to the outnumbered Belgian troops , led by general-major GILLAERT.
    Among the surending troop were; 9 Italian generals ( GAZZERA , de SIMONE and....) 370 officers, 2574 Italian NCO's and soldiers.1533 African NCO's and soldiers, 2000 African mercenaries .Reinforcement troops of the nearby town Burei surended also, a other; 650 Italian officers and NCO's of the Italian 22 th colonial infantry batalion, to the Belgian 3th compagnie mounted fusseliers("mounted"...on bikes!!).
    The Belgians got also 8 cannons caliber 77 with 3000 grenades. 10 cannons caliber 65 with 2000 grenades, 4 mortars, 72 heavy machine gun's, 127 light machine gun's, 7600 rifles, 15000 hand grenades, 330 pistols, 2.000.000 rounds, 20 ton radio material. 250 truck's. 20 car's, 2 light tanks, 20 motor bikes, 500 mules and a lot of medical material.
    There is a special medal in honour of the soldiers who participated that event, I 'll post one as soon as I can lay hands on a good one!
    ;-)
    |<ris

cheers
    |<ris

I did not know about that. I have become more interested in Belgium's participation during the Wars ever since I visited the Dodengang and the Yser Tower at Diksmuide. Incidentally the Yser medal is probably my favorite medal in terms of design as well.

Be carefull, these medals don't come by the dozen's!
    Most you get to see are re-strike's!! Even perverse copy's.
    Some medal sellers certifie only selling genuine medals and are offering thise particular medal "in gold"!
    They never came in gold! Bronze for African's, silver for European soldiers!
    |<

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    I did not know about that. I have become more interested in Belgium's participation during the Wars ever since I visited the Dodengang and the Yser Tower at Diksmuide. Incidentally the Yser medal is probably my favorite medal in terms of design as well.
    There are two Yzer medals the round original medal and the Yzer cross that was voted in 1934 to replace the first one.
    Mostly only Flemish ex soldiers baught it, in order to make a political statment for separatisme and weared it with a unofficial black and yellow ribbon identifying them as Flemish soldiers. The Flemish nationalist ideology was very present at that time!
    |<

cheers
    |<ris