Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment

Article about: An original wallet of discharge documents for Corporal Bert Cook who enlisted in Cardiff in November 1914 though appears to not have served abroad until sometime in 1916. He was born in on t

Default Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment

An original wallet of discharge documents for Corporal Bert Cook who enlisted in Cardiff in November 1914 though appears to not have served abroad until sometime in 1916. He was born in on the 2nd November 1887 in Grantham in Lincolnshire, so perhaps a bit odd that he joined up in Cardiff, as a Volunteer in 1914. He was discharged on 5/2/18 with a Silver War Badge after 3 years and 101 days with the colours as being no longer physically fit for War Service because of a gunshot wound to the right arm. He is listed as living at Cecil Street Grantham and was allowed to wear a single wound stripe. He is listed as being a Printer, and was 30 years and 3 weeks old when he was discharged.

He was with the Machine gun Corps and the Welsh Regiment, but as I can no longer access ancestry I do not have his SWB or Medal rolls so don't know which Battalions he served with so I cannot work out exactly where he served, though I know he served with the BEF in France from 9/7/16 to 9/11/16, presumably prior to his wounding.

It is a tidy little group but it would be great if I could get copies of his missing medal and war badge rolls.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment   Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment  

Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment   Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

A fine set and nicely presented Jerry.

Nice group of documents Jerry. Heres the medal roll and SWB roll, unfortunately they don't give the battalion he was in. Although at the top of the SWB roll it says MGC 232, so possibly related to 232 company MGC? Hope this helps anyway. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment   Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment  

Nice one Jerry!....

Thanks all.

James, thanks for the rolls, it is much appreciated. The Bn number for the Welsh is probably for the 16th Cardiff City Battalion as it falls between medals I have for them and the 15th Carmarthen Pals Bn, though he enlisted two days before the former was formed in Cardiff, but allowing for the paperwork to go through etc his actual call up would probably fit with him being in the Cardiff City Bn. Interesting that his MIC has the MGC first, with the Welsh second, but his medal and SWB rolls are both issued by the MGC which usually means that he was discharged from the MGC. I have another medal roll that has the units listed out of the actual sequence so I assume the same is the case here.

I guess he was fairly quickly transferred to the MGC.

His date of deployment does not fit exactly with any of the Bn's of the Welsh, though the 18th Welsh 2nd Glamorgan's were formed in Cardiff January 1915 and went to France June 1916. He might have been with them though it is more likely he went as part of a batch of reinforcements to one of the other bn's or perhaps was already with the MGC by then, as his medal roll suggests his medals were named to him in the MGC and I think they would normally be named to the unit he first served abroad with.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 08-15-2016 at 08:20 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

This info was posted on the Great War Forum.

Find my Past has an item from the Grantham Journal 9th December 1916.

" Official news has been received by Mrs Cook of 24 Cecil Street that her youngest son, Corpl., Bert Cook, of the Machine Gun Corps, was seriously wounded in the right arm and thigh on 31st October,and is now lying in the Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow. Corpl., Cook enlisted on November 18th 1914 in the Welsh Regiment, and was afterwards attached to the Machine Gun Corps. He has been abroad five months. It will be remembered that last week we published the portrait of Corpl., Geo. Wm. Cook his brother,who was posted missing since September 1915, and was later reported as killed in action."

Bob

Many thanks to Bob who posted it.
    Regards,

Jerry

A poor copy of the newspaper including his picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment 
    Regards,

Jerry

A hopefully better copy of the newspaper clipping.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bert Cook, MG copr & Welsh Reiment  
    Regards,

Jerry

nice find Jerry.

?

In case you're interested in his post war life, he was the manager at the Biddulph Arms Hotel, Ledbury in the 1930s. Not a million miles away from Cardiff.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast