Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boer war commemorative jug

Article about: A gift to me. Full of period jingoistic imagery, totally un PC, but common for the period. The difference between the fully equipped British soldier and the wounded and worn out looking old

Default Boer war commemorative jug

A gift to me. Full of period jingoistic imagery, totally un PC, but common for the period. The difference between the fully equipped British soldier and the wounded and worn out looking old Boer with his pipe is quite marked, but at least they are shown as shaking hands after peace has been declared.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer war commemorative jug   Boer war commemorative jug  

Boer war commemorative jug  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Another Nice Boar War piece!!! In the past year, I have seen more collectors show interest in the Boar War and many are starting to pick things up

Dean O

The Boar war was a pivotal time for the then Empire, now Commonwealth..it really is understudied ...Love the Jug,the peace dove just sets it off

Really nice and the age crackling is a nice touch too.

Top jug Jerry!....

Thanks all.

I am one of those who for a long time did not take much interest in the period, but the artifacts from then are very interesting and as mentioned are pretty much the end of an era and the forerunner to the last gasp of the old empire and an old way of life with its almost final deathknell which was sounded during WWI, though did not really pass into history until after the end of WWII.

The iconography of so many of the pieces from the era and their now largely out of place patriotic messages are something I find incredibly interesting.
    Regards,

Jerry

The Germans shared that same zeal to adorn anything and everything with patriotic fervor, especially during ww1 ...but its all very Germanic in nature as they didnt have the Empire they aspired to, lots of Iron crosses and Kaiser heads...where as the British had that great hands across the oceans look and feel ..i wonder how long after the war that jug was made,as its in the nature of reconciliation..As a domestic English item they would have been removed to an extent from the realities of the war,but surely for some time after, the badly injured would have been coming home,making me think the jug might be a little later?? Any suggestions would be interesting

A comparison with another Boer war plate of a similar type from my collection.

Also my other Boer war plate, not so jingoistic and the Transvaal souvenir medallion, which is in a similar vein to the first two plates.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer war commemorative jug   Boer war commemorative jug  

Boer war commemorative jug   Boer war commemorative jug  

Regards,

Jerry

?

Very interesting pieces.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast