Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boer war plate

Article about: Picked up today from a local antiques center. no maker mark but style of the plate seems late Victorian, as does the style of the uniforms, though for the 2nd Boer war I think the British ha

Default Boer war plate

Picked up today from a local antiques center. no maker mark but style of the plate seems late Victorian, as does the style of the uniforms, though for the 2nd Boer war I think the British had stopped wearing the red coat abroad. Anyone good on dating the field gun?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer war plate   Boer war plate  

Boer war plate  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry, Hotchkiss guns were big back then...maybe a 1 or 3 pounder...? Late 1800's early 1900's. Only a guess.

Hey Jerry. Take a look at this site and scroll down to the 12pdr, 12CWT QF (Long 12') I am pretty sure that is the same gun. It was a naval gun mounted on a makeshift field carriage, hence the "rough and ready" look of the carriage. Nice plate by the way

South African Military History Society - Journal- Guns in South Africa 1899-1902

Thanks Nigel and James fro responding.

James, your link led me to find this one which gives me a 2nd Boer war date, thanks again. Also the history of them fits well with the Naval person in the picture on the plate.

QF 12 pounder 12 cwt naval gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Nice plate Jerry..I mentioned a Boer War shelf & you are off already lol....Looks like I might have some competiton!! Cheers Terry.

Boer war plate
    Jerry i think that may be a Naval brigade 12 pounder known as a long twelve mounted on improvised field carriages designed by Captain Percy Scott RN, not a 100% sure but it looks quite similar!..

Quote by Tango View Post
    Nice plate Jerry..I mentioned a Boer War shelf & you are off already lol....Looks like I might have some competiton!! Cheers Terry.
    Thanks Terry.

I already had one plate posted a while back.

Plus some other items, a FS helmet from the period, a Silver FS helmet motto for the 17th lancers from that period, a Welsh regiment marked water bottle from the period and some other cap badges from the period (not shown).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer war plate   Boer war plate  

Boer war plate   Boer war plate  

Boer war plate  
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Boer war plate
    Jerry i think that may be a Naval brigade 12 pounder known as a long twelve mounted on improvised field carriages designed by Captain Percy Scott RN, not a 100% sure but it looks quite similar!..
    Cheers mate, it says the same in the link that James posted and the one I posted.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Cheers mate, it says the same in the link that James posted and the one I posted.
    Bugger you beat me to it!....

?

Damn it I knew I would lose!!! lol.... Well like I said the Boer war shelf will come as & when!!!. I keep seeing other things to collect first like you do!!!. Mind that is a very nice collection you have going on there. The helmet is outstanding a right centre piece if you ask me!! So thanks for showing the collection but the helmet like I say is tops!! Cheers Terry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast