Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boer War, WWI, possibly a Welsh Regt.?

Article about: Hello, Does anyone have a clue about the uniform being worn in the photo? To me it looks Boer War but the uniform cuffs don't look right or perhaps it's from some time between 1902 and 1914

?

Default Boer War, WWI, possibly a Welsh Regt.?

Hello,

Does anyone have a clue about the uniform being worn in the photo?

To me it looks Boer War but the uniform cuffs don't look right or perhaps it's from some time between 1902 and 1914 however, the two men in civvies definitely look late Victorian to me.

I've been searching for my uniform book and online without luck, can anyone guess his regiment? A mounted Welsh unit?

Thanks
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Boer War, WWI, possibly a Welsh Regt.?   Boer War, WWI, possibly a Welsh Regt.?  

Could it be the XIIth Royal Lancers, my dad's old regiment, they fought in the Boer War and wore the PoW feathers cap badge??

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thanks for the reply Ned, just looked them up and but couldn't find any close up pics. The badge does look the same though.

Tony

Firstly I am not an expert on uniform of this period and I could well be mistaken, but it looks a lot like 1915 pattern service dress to me, making this a WW1 era photograph. If it were Boer war period, he would be wearing a red jacket or khaki drill uniform- this looks like dark khaki brown woolen service dress to me and this was introduced in 1902 after the Boer war. Further more, it is missing the reinforcing patches from the shoulder and the lower pocket buttons pointing to it being the 1915 pattern wartime austerity tunic.

Clearly if anyone else knows better I will be very happy to be corrected, but I think that is correct.

Doug

Funnily enough, the old man's still got his silver topped regimental crested riding crop as well, but the leather keeper is missing.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Doug, didn't the 1915 simplified pattern tunics have the pleats removed from the breast pockets but keep the same style flap as the 1902 pattern? The breast pockets have pleats in the photo and the officer style breast pocket flaps. Could this be a cavalry version of the 1915 tunic?

Tony

Hi Tony, yes you are quiet right it should not have box pleats if its a wartime austerity pattern. As to a cavalry tunic, I simply dont know.

Hi. I'm fairly certain this is from the first decade of the 20th century, a post Boer War home service uniform for a volunteer unit of some sort. The 1902 pattern service dress was already in use with all the regulars by the end of the Boer War and ritzy patterns with coloured collars were strictly for the volunteers. I think this is an Imperial Yeoman c. 1905. It's not a WW1 uniform as the slouch hat was well out by then except for some troops going to the Balkans midwar who anyway would have had the regular service dress.

Looks like the insignia of the 3rd (prince of wales's) Dragoon Guards; this historic cavalry role would explain the spurs on the boots and the riding breeches - And im next to certain that the Dragoons saw service in the second Boer War -just my two cents on the matter, I'm sure others will concretize.

?

I asked on the Great War forum last night and received a reply saying either Denbighshire or Wiltshire Yeomanry, the uniform and badges fit for both units as does the slouch hat which was worn on manoeuvres.

Thanks for the replies, this photo is very interesting even though there are no clues written on the back.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast