Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

"Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book

Article about: Hi Guys, I think I have discovered a little gem here which I had almost forgotten about owning. My family are from Notingham, England and one of the biggest employers in the city has always

Default "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book

Hi Guys, I think I have discovered a little gem here which I had almost forgotten about owning.

My family are from Notingham, England and one of the biggest employers in the city has always been the "Boots Pure Drug Company" later known as "Boots the Chemists". British forum readers will know them well today as most towns still have a high street store.

My Grandad worked for "Boots" all his working life. He was in their own printing Department. (He served in WW1 as I have written about on the forum.)

In April 1915 Sir Jesse Boot decided to publish a monthly magazine devoted to his employees who were now fighting at the Front. This was only published for one year only, until April 1916, when due to the war effort it had to stop. The magazine was non profit making and proceeds went to the sick and wounded.

There is some fantastic stuff in it. It was well illustrated and full of stories.

The book is possibly unique and a one off. My Dad and I suspect that my Grandad would have kept all the editions and then after the war bound them all up himself at work. Having done some research it appears that it was never made as a book. Nottingham Libray service only has the first edition of the magazine in their archives.

I will add some scan here. More to come later.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book  "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book 

Default Re: "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book

Front cover from the November 1915 edition. I particually like this one as it shows an 18 prd field gun crew in action. My Grandad served on these guns. The legend "Ready For Action" is highlighted in red to represent the letters RFA= Royal Field Artillery.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book  

Default Re: "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book

Four scans which I know will be of interest as they show evidence of the almost legendary "item which stopped a bullet".

I wonder if any of these survive today?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book   "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book  

"Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book   "Boots Comrades in Khaki": a rare book