Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Brass matchbox holder

Article about: Hi all, recently picked up this item it belonged to 37940 sidney lawrence, 8th service batt.somerset light infantry. on the edge is marked HAMs/HEURE 1919 anybody know the meaning of this, m

?

Default Brass matchbox holder

Hi all, recently picked up this item it belonged to 37940 sidney lawrence, 8th service batt.somerset light infantry. on the edge is marked HAMs/HEURE 1919 anybody know the meaning of this, most probably a place name, but where?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Brass matchbox holder   Brass matchbox holder  

Brass matchbox holder  

Default Re: Brass matchbox holder

Hi wingco,

The marking is for the Belgian (Walloon) municipality of Ham sur Heure in the province of Hainaut located in the eastern part of the country. During 1919 the allied general headquarters consisting of Australian, British and American forces were based in the castle there.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Default Re: Brass matchbox holder

Hi again Ned, thanks a lot for the info, your a good man to have on board, cheers Willie