Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

British Army 1902 patt/style other ranks Service Dress cap

Article about: I was wondering whether someone can help point out differences between original Pre WW1 other ranks khaki peaked caps and the type retained by household Division and used post WW2 ? I see so

Default British Army 1902 patt/style other ranks Service Dress cap

I was wondering whether someone can help point out differences between original Pre WW1 other ranks khaki peaked caps and the type retained by household Division and used post WW2 ? I see some obvious difference only with peaks . 1930s caps seem to have larger peaks than WW1 and Guards Div have near vertical small peaks . The example i post may be Household Cavalry but im not certain ? Maybe its old ?!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army 1902 patt/style other ranks Service Dress cap   British Army 1902 patt/style other ranks Service Dress cap  

British Army 1902 patt/style other ranks Service Dress cap   British Army 1902 patt/style other ranks Service Dress cap  

?

Default Re: British Army 1902 patt/style other ranks Service Dress cap

Rob, the only thing i can offer is that many of the Guards Rgts slashed their peaks and still do, although it is actually an offence under Military Law to damage military property, as far as i'm aware they were never issued with pre slashed peaks

Rob,

The SD cap, introduced in 1905, evolved overtime but only never had a Gurads or Household Div version. Those were modified after the fact.

Here is a short evolution of the SD Cap (stiff)

They were introduced with pattern 6281/1905---16-Mar-05

Below is a cap made in 1906 with the pattern strap introduced in 1908. Note the issue stamp of 12/06 should be 12/09-a mistake while applying the issue marks.

Note the top lining is only black cloth with sweatband being American Cloth. The peak is small and more vertical than post war examples. Also, wartime and pre-war did not have a topsticth around the top of the outside headband--hard to see in this photo (By the way Canadian caps did have this top stitch)

This is a 1915 dated cap to a Pte of the 5thBn CG (issued to him in 1918). This actually pattern 7659/1912---29-Nov-12. This pattern introduced the all american cloth lining as seen on all SD caps from hear on in. The peak remained the same size with no top stitch. During this period the Guards did not slash the peaks--thats post great war. They did in fact modify the caps by inserting a metal plate in the front to force up the peak. This cap is so modified. Normal ORs SD should not have this plate as manufactured.

Below is the cap as introduced in with pattern 3593/1921--30-Nov-21

Note the large peak and top stitch on top of head band and also has a plate manufactured in the cap.

Yours is hard to tell --it does not have top stitch but it looks like your peak has been removed and put on by hand--also in the pphoto its hard to tell the size of the peak by the angle--does it look like it headband has messed with?

By the way I published an indepth article on Great War Cap evolution (SD cap, Winter SD cap (Gor Blimey), and SD Cap (soft)) in Militaria Magazine about 5 years ago--This had all the pattern change info down to chinstraps.

Take care,

Joe Sweeney

Thats a great help Joe . The information in Militaria should be condensed into a book for British WW1 collectors . Ive seen that they have articles on WW1 Glengarrys and British army boots which are defining articles . Id like to get yours too , what issue number is it please ? . Theres a distinct lack of well photographed info over here compared with how the French have treated their WW1 subject matter ! Il check the cap when im back home . I dont think the peak has been messed with . Il take more pics .

Rob,

Here is a list of issue numbers and articles I've written

239--SD Jacket
    242--Caps Part 1
    244--Caps Part 2
    246--SD trouser, Pantaloons and Puttees
    249--Dismounted Great Coats (note I made a mistake and photo'd a 1909 Mounted GReat Coat instead of Dismounted)
    252--SBR's
    258--ID Tags, Paybooks and Small books
    265--Ankle boots and Field Service Boots
    273--Scots Part 1 --Kilts (Note I had nothing to do with the cover photo of the reenactor)
    279==Scots part 2--Glens Balmorals and Tams
    283--Gas Helmets Hypo/P/PH/PHG
    326--Khaki Drill
    Not published yet but Militaria has:
    MGC Special articles (Cape, Gloves, Mask)
    Shirts

Joe Sweeney

Hello Joe,

any chance you could post these articles here on the forum? The articles on SD jackets, SD caps, the Scottish caps and khaki drill would be great to see and I'm sure the others would be of interest to many. Can you recommend any good books on these subjects, the Scottish caps are something I am struggling to find information on?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Jerry B,

You can order the magazines here. The MGC Special Articles is in the Jan 2013 issue

Histoire & Collections - Militaria - Uniforms, equipment, insignia and badges, 1914-1970

regards and Happy New Year

Mark

Quote by Rob truscott View Post
    Thats a great help Joe . The information in Militaria should be condensed into a book for British WW1 collectors . Ive seen that they have articles on WW1 Glengarrys and British army boots which are defining articles . Id like to get yours too , what issue number is it please ? . Theres a distinct lack of well photographed info over here compared with how the French have treated their WW1 subject matter ! Il check the cap when im back home . I dont think the peak has been messed with . Il take more pics .
    Heres another view which shows the peaks not distorted as in the close up
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army 1902 patt/style other ranks Service Dress cap  

Rob,

You have a nice cap which to me looks 1912 thru wartime.

Joe Sweeney

Quote by Joe Sweeney View Post
    Rob,

You have a nice cap which to me looks 1912 thru wartime.

Joe Sweeney
    Great !
    Thanks for making a very informative thread Joe . The more i looked at this cap ,the less i felt it was a 40s or later household Div variation . The peak is small but not the vertical slashed type and the chinstrap much thinner than later ones . Il post my other WW1 caps for your appraisal .