Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Army Dress uniform

Article about: Hello everyone, i am a new member, i collect medals from ww1 & 2 , for the last 3 months i have been combing throuh all of your archives and found them amazing, relics, archeology, and m

Default British Army Dress uniform

Hello everyone, i am a new member, i collect medals from ww1 & 2 , for the last 3 months i have been combing throuh all of your archives and found them amazing, relics, archeology, and members collection , i have learned so much by just reading your comments, as i am a new to collecting, it is great to learn from people with experience, so forgive me if i make any mistakes.......

I would be indebted to your members if you could help me with this it is a british army dress uniform
    from 1900 to 1920, the buttons have the name "Ranken & co calcuta".I think its from an infantry regiment?...Thare are no unit markings..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army Dress uniform   British Army Dress uniform  

British Army Dress uniform   British Army Dress uniform  

Default Re: British army Dress uniform

Hi, and welcome!

The rank is for a Col.

I would need to see a clear close up on the buttons to give you an ID.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks, i have some more pictures of the buttons, royal engineers...
    Edward 7th, 1901---1911..???

just check out the workmanship on the pips...pure quality..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army Dress uniform   British Army Dress uniform  

Indeed, quality of a bygone age. Very nice.

Cheers, Ade.

Nice piece in the collection.

The tunic of a Colonel on the Staff, buttons are King Edward VII as worn by Brigadiers & Colonels.

carlos1ct
    ?

Default Re: British Army Dress uniform

Hi I'm new to this site and am conducting research on officers dress worn in 1911. Could someone tell me if this red Dress Uniform jacket would be worn by a Lieutenant and if it would have been appropriate to have been worn to a wedding or to church in 1911. Also, what would the rank have looked like and what trousers, shoes and hat would have been worn.

?

Quote by carlos1ct View Post
    Hi I'm new to this site and am conducting research on officers dress worn in 1911. Could someone tell me if this red Dress Uniform jacket would be worn by a Lieutenant and if it would have been appropriate to have been worn to a wedding or to church in 1911. Also, what would the rank have looked like and what trousers, shoes and hat would have been worn.
    The scarlet tunic would have been worn in Review Order, or full dress by officers of most, but not all line infantry regiments, with colored facings and badges appropriate for each regiment. Foot Guards regiments, Rifle regiments, and Scottish regiments wore tunics of different patterns. Certain Dragoon and Dragoon Guards regiments wore somewhat similiar tunics.
    For a wedding, full dress would have been worn, at least in any photos I have seen, including the dress helmet, bearskin, busby, etc. Trousers would have been very dark blue, in the main with a thin scarlet stripe, and wellington boots.
    That's my quick & dirty version; if you have a specific regiment, I could provide more details.

HenryHook
    ?

I have an exact match for this jacket just arrived with only one of the screw down buttons (cipher of edward VII) missing (If anyone has one of those id be grateful for a message!)

What id like to know is apart from the shoulder pips )mine has no pips), what else confirms this as a colonel on the staff? (this is confirmed in Army Uniforms 1911) but to what regiment would this uniform belong? Would its owner have worn collar dogs or being on the staff show no affiliations but to the king?

Finally what does being a "colonel on the staff" actually mean?

Sorry for all the questions!

THanks
    Hook