Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British helmet, id?

Article about: Thanks for the welcome Ade. z4

Default British helmet, id?

I am new to the forum and would like some help to id some helmets I own.
    There is some writing in the helmet(see pic)looks like, a recy con.

Thanks z4
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British helmet, id?   British helmet, id?  

British helmet, id?   British helmet, id?  

Default Re: Helmet ID

Hi
    Welcome to the forum. looks like a WW1 British helmet minus liner. Whether the divisional sign painted on it is original remains to be seen

Thanks for the quick reply, I have had the helmet for years stuck in the loft, I was looking on the net for the markings when I came across this forum which I must say is very good.

Does the chin strap look original ?.

Default Re: British helmet, id?

John after your comment on on the insignia I notice the the shape of the insignia has been cut out of the original paint then filled in with the coloured paint.

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum. looks like a WW1 British helmet minus liner. Whether the divisional sign painted on it is original remains to be seen
    Paint looks too fresh for the age of and state of the lid but a nice Brodie all the same.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Default early model British shell

wow! looks like you have the early first pattern Brodie shell with a raw edge [not rolled] these are 1915 era helmets before the changes to the MKI of 1916

Hi,
    Nice helmet i could give it a home, lol It looks like the first A Patt
    issue 1915. Rimless, it,s in very good condition for the age
    the strap looks fine it is original to the helmet as it will be riveted to the inside. do you have any more in your collection.
    dave

?

A very nice and sought after rimless lid! However, I don't think the paint looks too fresh as someone pointed out. Many of the lead based enamels of that time period held up very well and retained their brightness much better than the helmet color did.

Thanks for the info all.
    I have had the helmet for years in the loft, the paint looks original to me, as I said in my earlier post the colored pain looks like it is inlaid into the original paint.

I did ask about the markings on another forum and this is the answer I got.

[1] 2nd/5th Loyal North Lancs Regt. 2" Triangle & [C]Coy bar. No connection with 29th Inf Div [The other Red Triangle on the helmet.]

[2] 2nd/3rd London Regt. 2½" Triangle. No Coy bar shown. [Not to say that there was not one worn!]
    Attached to 86th Inf Bde 29th Inf Div.

Hi, not had chance to say "hello" yet so welcome to the forum! Nice to see another member from Derbyshire!

The helmet looks fine to me to be honest.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast