Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Inclinometer?

Article about: Can anyone tell me anything about this instrument? I believe it's an inclinometer, used to measure elevation or depression, but am not sure if this is correct. As you'll see in the photos, t

Default British Inclinometer?

Can anyone tell me anything about this instrument? I believe it's an inclinometer, used to measure elevation or depression, but am not sure if this is correct. As you'll see in the photos, the case is marked "G. Battle & Co.", with the year 1915 and pheon. The instrument itself is marked "R. J. Hopgood & Co. London", with the serial No.1897 and year 1915.

I'd especially like to know if these were used with artillery and, if so, if they were intended for use with a specific type of gun. Also, was this a common item throughout the war? This is the first one of its type I've seen.

Here are some photos:
    British Inclinometer?British Inclinometer?British Inclinometer?British Inclinometer?British Inclinometer?

Thanks!

NCA
    ?

What a lovely instrument. I'm fascinated by these things but I don't have a clue how they work!

Theres some info on yours about halfway down. Surveying Instruments

Thanks, NCA. It's helpful to know its name, from the link you posted - the De Lisle Reflecting Clinometer.

There's some good information here, that may help you understand how it works: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ons/topics/108

I've read that this was used by surveyors and engineers, but also by the artillery. I'd just love to know what exactly the artillery people used it for!

?

I have been told that tunnellers used them (among others) for surveying tunnels.

Oz.

I have one of these too. It is almost identical and in identical condition too. However mine is dated 1914 and was made by Thomas Armstrong & Bros (Not to be confused with the arms manufacturer Armstrong). It also has a near identical case, though without the shoulder strap. Obviously both made to the same military pattern.

It is actually a De Lisle Clinometer, used in surveying.

My father was a surveyor, so probably purchased this between the wars.

The scale marking on it is in linear inches, not degrees, so measuring slopes from 1 in 5 to 1 in 50, which would indicate it wasn't used for gun aiming.

There is a good description of it here, pages 341-2: Surveying Vol. I - B. C. Punmia - Google Books

Thank you for this, MartinP48.

For artillery use it would be used by a surveyor to determine a more accurate gun location for predictive indirect fires.