Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British Victorian medals

Article about: Hi guys,not sure i should post these here but i've had some interest & though it was a good idea to share them. Stewy First up is a Boer war medal,engraved. One of only 106 issued.

Default British Victorian medals

Hi guys,not sure i should post these here but i've had some interest & though it was a good idea to share them. Stewy

First up is a Boer war medal,engraved. One of only 106 issued.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Victorian medals   British Victorian medals  

Default Re: British Victorian medals

Egypt 1882 medal with Tel-el-Kabir bar. 1882 present on the medal,some didn't have this. This fella marched all night & then had to fight,often hand to hand. A proudly worn example.Stewy S
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Victorian medals   British Victorian medals  

Two Crimean medals both with Sebastopol bar. The first was a career soldier who sadly commited suicide whilst on duty in Ireland on 15th Oct 1859. He was 11s 103/4d in debt at the time. His effects were mailed to his sister. Stewy S

British Victorian medals   British Victorian medals  

?

Nice pieces Stewy i love the Victorian medals although i haven't got any yet !!!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Second Crimean medal. Hand engraved,not researched this one yet. Stewy S

Crackin collection ther Stewy, how long does it take you to research a medal on average,
    cheer's ronnie

Second Boer war. 5th Dragoon guard with single bar Natal. So he was hardcore. Seems scary,but he was only 5ft 4 1/2 tall! Any relation Phil? Natal bar is hard to find on it's own. Stewy S

?

Stewy what's the going rate for a Crimea four bar ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Second Boer war medal. No research on this one yet. Royal field artillery. Tugela heights,defence of Ladysmith you could not be awarded Tugela heights without Ladysmith or another particular bar. Research on Victorian medals is hard. You need to go to the National archives at Kew by appointment to chase them up. Stewy S

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Stewy what's the going rate for a Crimea four bar ?
    A lot depends on regt. etc. Crimea,Alma & Balaclava are the hard ones to find. I dread to think what a four bar would be. I don't think there were that many entitled to all four. With Boer war pt2 i'll call it. Single bars can be rarer than multiple bars sometimes. Stewy S

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast