Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone date this uniform?

Article about: Hi Annoyed from this ads?   Have this old photo of a relative but cannot identify the individual. Can anyone approximately date this uniform? It will be British but not sure of much els

Default Can anyone date this uniform?

Hi

Have this old photo of a relative but cannot identify the individual. Can anyone approximately date this uniform? It will be British but not sure of much else . Any help greatly appreciated :-)

Can anyone date this uniform?

US civil war?....

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    US civil war?....
    It certainly looks that period, but I can add nothing else, so do you have US ancestors Harry?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

A number of European armies used this uniform cut during the mid to late 1800's. There appears to be a royal crown of the head of the chair. But I could be wrong there.

It may be Tudor Crown on the chair which could indicate if correct around 1902. The photo looks older but I guess condition will be dictated by storage over the years.

None that we are aware of. It has always been assumed that the person in the photo was a Brit

Quote by harry211 View Post
    None that we are aware of. It has always been assumed that the person in the photo was a Brit
    That's what I feel. I would attempt to ID the belt buckle if possible. The crown on the chair may also be Victoria's small crown which would date it around 1870's ish.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 10-05-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added text

typical buckle of the pre WW1 period.

?

Very doubtful that this US. Collar, cuffs, and general cut not correct and to few buttons. Shoes also appear to be incorrect for US. The two piece buckle was not worn by regulars and the militia units stopped wearing them by the Civil War (Federal units).
    Is he military? Could he be police or fireman? This style uniform in the US was worn long after the military gave it up. No enlisted frock coats were ordered by the US government in 1864 or after.