Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?

Article about: I have posted this to a thread about ww1 british gas masks, but no one commented on it. I wonder if any one on the forum can help with identification on this for me? Is it an early type of g

Default Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?

I have posted this to a thread about ww1 british gas masks, but no one commented on it. I wonder if any one on the forum can help with identification on this for me? Is it an early type of gas mask, a type before the gas hood?

its a visor with its original packet, i believe its a early sort of WW1 british army gas mask, it came home with the effects bag (pictured) of Pte Williams A.S.C with his paybook and collar badges (he was transferred to the West Riding Regt before he was killed) i had these items from the family, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Jamiegerman44
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?   Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?  

Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?   Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?  

Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?  

Default Re: Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?

They're tear gas goggles, yours look to be in fantastic condition for their age Also very rare, only seen a handful of examples

Some further information on this page:

Militaria & Military Photos - British WWI Army Equipment - Grants Militaria Images

Thanks

Danny

Default Re: Can anyone help with identification of this British ww1 gas visor / face mask?

Those are Tear Gas goggles I believe. I will have to check up on this, but from memory they're actually later-war issue, and were carried in the Small Box Respirator haversack.

They are very nice

Rob

ian
    ?

sa far as i believe these things were what gave the name gas mask
    a miss under stood name of the resporator
    every one called them the gasmask !!
    wich is what you have
    when i was a youn g soldier i gat chassed from ass to breakfast if i called my resporator a "gas mask"
    cheers ian

Thanks guys really appreciate the help

These are a pattern of Goggles introduced in August 1915 and were alternately known as "Spicer" or "French" Type. About 3 million were made by Messrs Jas. Spicer & Sons. Ltd of Red Lion Str in London. These were issued with the Gas Helmets and SBR's into 1917 for tear gas protection.

Joe Sweeney