Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

can anyone ID a sporran??

Article about: Im trying to ID the regiment of these young lads, photo taken 1918. can anyone ID the uniform? any pointers gratefully received. Ed

Default can anyone ID a sporran??

Im trying to ID the regiment of these young lads, photo taken 1918.
    can anyone ID the uniform?

any pointers gratefully received.
    Ed

The badge on the sporran at the far right is probably the clearest under magnification... and I would hazard a guest that it is likely to be the Gordon Highlanders.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The badge on the sporran at the far right is probably the clearest under magnification... and I would hazard a guest that it is likely to be the Gordon Highlanders.
    I see what you mean and the tartan appears similar but I get more of an impression of "Hunting Stewart" (worn in the uniforms of many more units) rather than "Gordon" tartan and the cap badge is wrong for The Gordons. It looks to be the right size and shape for The Royal Scots. This seems wrong though as by 1918 The Royal Scots were designated as a Lowland regiment as apposed to a Highland one which meant that they wore trews (except pipers in full dress) rather than the kilt. The sporran is a diversion too as most had two, five or six tassles although there were three tassle types (sporrans are a subject all on their own!). Also, the apparent age of these "Jocks" suggests to me that they are not regulars, perhaps Queen Victoria School, Dunblane?
    Throughout my service I have been posted beside every Scottish regiment (there were seven infantry regiment in The Scottish Division during my time) including The Scots Guards, 4RTR and The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carbiniers and Greys) but I realise now that I don't know as much as I once did so this is really my best guess based on what I recall.

Good Luck and let us know what you find!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Is it possible they are Seaforths, who had three tussles? But it does look more like a school uniform.

Quote by aicusv View Post
    Is it possible they are Seaforths, who had three tussles? But it does look more like a school uniform.
    Well, the cap badge is totally wrong for the Seaforths whose badge was a stags head with antlers so even in a distant blurred picture it would look 'Y' shaped.

The Seaforth Highlanders wore the McKenzie tartan which is similar in black and white to the Hunting Stewart but I don't think this is it.

1. McKenzie.
    2. Hunting Stewart.

can anyone ID a sporran??can anyone ID a sporran??

Anyone else know waht we are looking at here?

Regards

Mark

PS Royal Scots cap badge;

Last edited by Watchdog; 10-20-2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: PS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Didn't some musicians of the Royal Scots ware 3 tussles?

Didn't some musicians of the Royal Scots ware 3 tussles?
    Pipers who are of course musicians, wear kilts as I said but that isn't really the point here.

The Royal Scots by the time of this image wore (except for pipers) trews which is the scots word for trousers (or breeks that is to say breeches )

Btw; they are tassels, a tussle is a kind of fight or struggle with another person

So, this could still be Royal Scots except for the fact that pipers wore kilts of Royal Stewart tartan which, even in a black and white picture this clearly isn't.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-21-2017 at 08:54 AM.

?

Sorry about the spelling, writing faster than thinking.
    We can pretty well rule out several regiments and are they even an UK unit? How about Canadian or Anzac?
    Given the uniform, spats, tartan hose, and the age of the lads, I feel there is a strong chance they are from a school.

Sorry about the spelling, writing faster than thinking.
    We can pretty well rule out several regiments and are they even an UK unit? How about Canadian or Anzac?
    Given the uniform, spats, tartan hose, and the age of the lads, I feel there is a strong chance they are from a school.
    Yes I am inclined to agree (and I knew you didn't mean tussle, I was pulling your leg ).

I think that if I am correct that this is Hunting Stewart tartan it may actually be more of a red herring because it is one of the most commonly used along with Royal Stewart because they are both associated with the Crown and therefore it is much harder to say that using it is inappropriate so it is likely that a school may have used it around that time. I am pretty sure the pic is taken in UK, can't really say why it just looks that way. Possibly the architecture in the background but that is clearly neither barracks nor school. It is surely a group of (albeit substantial) houses? The age of the subjects might not precude a military unit however as pipers and drummers in the British Army were once very young indeed.

I guess unless someone can look at this picture and recognise something unequivocally we are likely to struggle with this one which irritates I must admit.

Regards

Mark

thanks guys for the input, Its certainly given me a few more ideas of where to search.
    I will keep you posted if i find out anything conclusive.