Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can someone please tell me abouth this ww1 helmet !!

Article about: I just went to raceway park with my dad, it's a giant swap meet. Anyway I came across a guy with 4 helmet. One was a ww2 Japanese helmet, one was a ww1 french helmet, one was a ww2 civil def

Default Can someone please tell me abouth this ww1 helmet !!

I just went to raceway park with my dad, it's a giant swap meet. Anyway I came across a guy with 4 helmet. One was a ww2 Japanese helmet, one was a ww1 french helmet, one was a ww2 civil deffence helmet, and one was a ww1 doughboy helmet. I'm into ww2 helmets and know everything about them but not ww1 helmets. Anyway I purchased the ww1 doughboy helmet. I'm not even sure if it is ww1, I'm just going by what the guy told me. Anyway if it is a ww1 doughboy helmet, can you tell me who used it and stuff. If not please tell me what type of helmet, and everything you know about it because I have no clue.

Here are some pics

Default Re: Can someone please tell me abouth this ww1 helmet !!

A WWI M1917 helmet. All liner system is gone with exception of the little bit of strap with the size marking. Looks like a big ol rust spot on the outside. It it painted gold or is that the reflection?

Quote by helmetone View Post
    A WWI M1917 helmet. All liner system is gone with exception of the little bit of strap with the size marking. Looks like a big ol rust spot on the outside. It it painted gold or is that the reflection?
    No that's the reflection. So it's a ww1 standered American helmet ? I paid $20.00 for it, was it a good deal ?

For $20 you did fine. WWI helmets are becoming increasingly popular, with very good condition ones selling on ebay within the $125-175 range. I actually just today picked up a helmet that has all the guts inside (liner, complete chinstrap that's pliable, attributed; check out my topic). A few months ago I sold an empty shell that was in much worse shape than the one you have for $45, so if you ever had to turn your money around, you'd have no problem.

Quote by Javelin4life View Post
    For $20 you did fine. WWI helmets are becoming increasingly popular, with very good condition ones selling on ebay within the $125-175 range. I actually just today picked up a helmet that has all the guts inside (liner, complete chinstrap that's pliable, attributed; check out my topic). A few months ago I sold an empty shell that was in much worse shape than the one you have for $45, so if you ever had to turn your money around, you'd have no problem.
    Wow, I just took a chance on it for $20.00

I also saw this ww2 m1 helmet, it was in great condition, chin straps sewed on, cork in paint, MSA liner, it almost looked unisued, the guy was asking for $65.00, I got him down to $50.00 but my dad didn't want to buy it. , would $50 have been a good price

Maybe, hard to say without photos. A lot of M1 "clones" out there.

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Maybe, hard to say without photos. A lot of M1 "clones" out there.
    I'm very good with ww2 helmets and this one was not a replica i know that for a fact. So in that condition what do you think it's worth

I really have no idea, sorry. I don't do WWII US helmets.

I see a number in the ww1 helmet. Looks like a heatstamp. Is there any way of using this number to date the helmet like on a ww2 helmet ?

I'd have to differ in opinion with other members on the value of this shell. It is an M1917 but it is in terrible condition with no liner or chin strap. I was at a show a couple of months ago and one of these, in much better condition, sat on a table with a $10 price tag on it half the day before some young kid finally came along and picked it up. If it even had a very bad condition liner and chin strap, you can still find them on eBay for $40-$50, of course the better the condition the higher the price and if it has some flash still visible, they can start at $100 and go up from there. There are a lot of these M1917 relic looking shells floating around, $20 would be the very high end of it's value in my opinion and for double that and maybe a few extra bucks you can come home with one that has a liner and possibly even a chin strap.

And I am glad to hear that your WWII M-1 knowlage base has grown so significantly, now you may be able to assist some of us others with the never ending line of questions we seem to manage to come up with in identifying these helmets.

Regards,

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast