Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

cap badge id help please!!!

Article about: Hi guys, picked up a lot of ww1 era photos recently and this one has me stumped. can anyone make out the cap badge or shoulder title? kind regards Ed On a side note, does anyone know if ther

Default cap badge id help please!!!

Hi guys, picked up a lot of ww1 era photos recently and this one has me stumped.
    can anyone make out the cap badge or shoulder title?
    kind regards
    Ed

On a side note, does anyone know if there is a record of what horse markings stand for?? bit of an odd question i know, but noticed the mark and it got me thinking!!

cap badge id help please!!!cap badge id help please!!!cap badge id help please!!!

The horse is carrying a stud brand. British Army horses were also branded with the broad arrow symbol on the left hind quarter. I can't tell if it's there or not, but perhaps it's not within the realms of impossibility that this one was a voluntarily supplied horse that has not, or yet been branded for whatever reason?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks ned, i can see what looks like a faint broadarrow after the number.
    Would the /l\ be next to the stud mark, or could it be anywhere?

I think this photo may be pre-war 1912ish.
    My first thoughts on the cap badge was leicestershire Imperial Yeomanry, but the shoulder title is very blurred and i dont think the LIY or LY had shoulder titles in that shape, but i may be wrong..... wouldnt be the first time.

Stud brands can be found in a variety of places on the horse, but from what little I know regarding army brands, the standard seems to have been for the broad arrow being placed on the left hindquarter.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.