Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Could anybody help me with identifying some insignia ?

Article about: I've recently been given a large family photo album, and inside was this picture of what I believe to be my great great Grandfather in the Great War, unfortunately I don't know his name, but

Default Could anybody help me with identifying some insignia ?

I've recently been given a large family photo album, and inside was this picture of what I believe to be my great great Grandfather in the Great War, unfortunately I don't know his name, but I can remember my Grandfather telling me that he Was put out of action after being caught in a gas attack, and he later died of his injuries. There is A few Letters that we have somewhere that he wrote to his daughter, but obviously they don't say a lot about Where or who he was serving with. So if anybody has any ideas on who he served with or anything from the insignia in this picture, i would be extremely grateful if anybody could spread some light on this

Thanks Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	557223  

Hi Stan, going by the white lanyard and ammo bandoleer I would say Royal Artillery.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

beat me to it Ade.

jwp
    ?

looks like he has a good conduct stripe, and could the badge on his other arm be a gun layer ?,
    john.Name:  454717_130425105011_IMG_0010.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  41.2 KB

As always Thanks for shedding some light on this one. That's actually quite odd, because all 5 of my Great Grandfathers on my dads Side Served with the royal artillery in the First World War. Also odd that he was subject to a gas attack, I would have thought they where slightly behind the lines

A lot of the shelling in WWI was behind the front lines, so it is more than likely he was in a position to be gassed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

In case he was still in service when he died have you tried searching the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for family names?

Oz

?

If you could enlarge the area from the sleeve insignia up, perhaps we could verify his branch.

CCMJR

Ok I could give it a try, if you could that would be really helpful.

Thanks Stan

This was as close as I could get it without it going blurry, and i can definitely make out the gun layers symbol that was mentioned on his arm. Also I found another image of him, And he is definitely Serving in the Royal artillery as he has a RA cap badge on his cap. Hope I could help

Thanks Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Views:	61 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	564524   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	61 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	564525  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast