Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Could anybody help me with identifying some insignia ?

Article about: I've recently been given a large family photo album, and inside was this picture of what I believe to be my great great Grandfather in the Great War, unfortunately I don't know his name, but

Default Could anybody help me with identifying some insignia ?

I've recently been given a large family photo album, and inside was this picture of what I believe to be my great great Grandfather in the Great War, unfortunately I don't know his name, but I can remember my Grandfather telling me that he Was put out of action after being caught in a gas attack, and he later died of his injuries. There is A few Letters that we have somewhere that he wrote to his daughter, but obviously they don't say a lot about Where or who he was serving with. So if anybody has any ideas on who he served with or anything from the insignia in this picture, i would be extremely grateful if anybody could spread some light on this

Thanks Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could anybody help me with identifying some insignia ?  

Hi Stan, going by the white lanyard and ammo bandoleer I would say Royal Artillery.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

beat me to it Ade.

jwp
    ?

looks like he has a good conduct stripe, and could the badge on his other arm be a gun layer ?,
    john.Could anybody help me with identifying some insignia ?

As always Thanks for shedding some light on this one. That's actually quite odd, because all 5 of my Great Grandfathers on my dads Side Served with the royal artillery in the First World War. Also odd that he was subject to a gas attack, I would have thought they where slightly behind the lines

A lot of the shelling in WWI was behind the front lines, so it is more than likely he was in a position to be gassed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

In case he was still in service when he died have you tried searching the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for family names?

Oz

?

If you could enlarge the area from the sleeve insignia up, perhaps we could verify his branch.

CCMJR

Ok I could give it a try, if you could that would be really helpful.

Thanks Stan

This was as close as I could get it without it going blurry, and i can definitely make out the gun layers symbol that was mentioned on his arm. Also I found another image of him, And he is definitely Serving in the Royal artillery as he has a RA cap badge on his cap. Hope I could help

Thanks Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could anybody help me with identifying some insignia ?   Could anybody help me with identifying some insignia ?  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast