Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Does anyone know what this lighter is? American eagle on front, Polish eagle on back. Was told its from WWI.

Article about: I received this lighter from someone, and was told that it belonged to their grandfather who was in the US Navy during WWI. I received an image of his obituary, and he passed away in 1970. T

Default Does anyone know what this lighter is? American eagle on front, Polish eagle on back. Was told its from WWI.

I received this lighter from someone, and was told that it belonged to their grandfather who was in the US Navy during WWI. I received an image of his obituary, and he passed away in 1970. The owner told me that she found it in a box that belonged to her father, which had some belongings from his father. The only information that she was able to provide was that her grandfather's tour of duty took him to many European countries, and that his ship was at the signing of Versailles. After he returned home, he worked as an assistant postmaster in New Hampshire.

That is the only information that I have.

The lighter seems genuine and the story seems accurate. Its just over one inch large, and has some weight to it. The wheel still spins, there are small little chain links on the side, and has two screws at the bottom. The hole where I believe the wick or flame would come from has a very small thread (about 3 of them). One side has the American eagle, the other side has the Polish eagle. According to my quick Wikipedia research, the style of the eagle on the coat of arms is from 1927-1939, which is the part that does not make sense. WWI ended in 1918, and according to the article, the eagle had somewhat of a resemblance to the coat of arms that existed in 1918, but it looks identical to the one that existed from 1927-1939.

Does anyone have any idea on the history of this lighter? I know its not one of a kind because I've seen them float around on eBay. So it must have been issued at some point. Does anyone know what this lighter is? American eagle on front, Polish eagle on back. Was told its from WWI.Does anyone know what this lighter is? American eagle on front, Polish eagle on back. Was told its from WWI.Does anyone know what this lighter is? American eagle on front, Polish eagle on back. Was told its from WWI.Does anyone know what this lighter is? American eagle on front, Polish eagle on back. Was told its from WWI.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does anyone know what this lighter is? American eagle on front, Polish eagle on back. Was told its from WWI.   Does anyone know what this lighter is? American eagle on front, Polish eagle on back. Was told its from WWI.  

?

Perhaps a commemorative, celebrating immigration to the US or national heritage.

Another:
    WW1 VINTAGE POLAND US Trench Art Lighter. Authentic ANTIQUE - POLISH AMERICAN | eBay

Very nice peice
    It appears to be ww2 era American cap badge and a polish cap badge formed together I would say it falls generally under "trench art"
    It may have been crafted while underway at sea or purchased in Europe as a souvenir. the lighter components were readily available so many residents of the countries who were on hard times after the war sold these type items to make ends meet.

great item to bring back and even use as a polish/American verts bring back

I have my grandfathers zippo he carried in korea, use it on special occasions like cigar smoking.

if your thinking about getting it to function for current use you will have to purchase replacement parts as the working portions get corroded and are not really worth (in my opinon) messing with it with current hardware. speaking from experience it may end up being more of a pain clean and repair to like new condition,

Very cool piece
    Regards
    General Putnam

'Trench Art' is as good a word as any. A kind of hand
    made souvenir. Most I've seen have British pennies
    on the sides. Nicer with eagles.........!
    Regards,

Steve.