Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Duke of Wellington’s Regt Uniform

Article about: Just to add to the earlier threads relating to the Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding) Regt, I thought I might add some photos of my uniform group from the 4th (Territorial Force) Battalion.

Default Duke of Wellington’s Regt Uniform

Just to add to the earlier threads relating to the Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding) Regt, I thought I might add some photos of my uniform group from the 4th (Territorial Force) Battalion. I think jimpy might find these interesting.

First is a full dress 1907 Pattern Tunic:

Duke of Wellington’s Regt UniformDuke of Wellington’s Regt Uniform

The DoWs version of this tunic, introduced in 1907, coinciding with the universal use of the metal shoulder title, was slightly different to the rest of the infantry, due to the Duke’s unusual situation of having a facing colour the same as the colour of the tunic itself. All infantry had the white piping down the front and around the edge of the scarlet shoulder strap, but the Dukes added extra tracing braid around the collar and cuffs, which were in the regimental facing colour, to avoid what would otherwise be a very plain appearance. This style of tunic was replaced in 1913, by a tunic with facing colour pointed straps and a squared off collar. The waist belt is a standard 1888 Valise Equipment type, with King’s crown buckle.

Details of the collar badges and shoulder titles.

Marksman qualification badge and service chevrons on the left cuff. These are held on by hooks rather than being sewn on.

Internal markings showing the unit, a number 568 (may be stores number or issue number) and a date, probably July 1911.

The rear of the tunic, showing the false pocket flap design introduced in 1902. I have a matching 1906 Forage Cap which I will post next.

Rob

Default Re: Duke of Wellington’s Regt Uniform

Love that periode uniformes!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Next is an example of the 1906 Pattern Forage Cap:

This cap was introduced to replace the peakless Broderick Cap and came in various colour combinations. This particular type, an all blue cap with just the crown welt in scarlet, was standard for all non-Royal infantry regiments, and would have been worn by all battalions of the Duke of Wellington’s Regt.

The original, pre-WWI issue Forage Cap (peaked or visor cap if you like) is quite different from later issues.

The most obvious feature is the peak which, on these early caps, is a solid piece of leather, as opposed to the patent leather or plastic on a green backing of later versions. The caps have a wide internal sweatband in black oilcloth and a narrow black patent leather chinstrap.

In overall appearance, they have a very flat (somewhat ugly) profile, with the body of the cap being consistent all the way around, unlike later issues where the front of the crown is raised.

Internally this example is marked with the same unit mark as the tunic, albeit with a different number. This is actually a very large cap for it’s era, being a 7¼.

Rob

ian
    ?

wonderfull
    i was with the duke of boots at the shat-al-arab in basrah ,,iraq , 2004-2005 some of the rgement may remember me as an armed civy
    aspecialy KEV and capt whight REME
    a great regemant very profesional regament

very nice rob thanks for sharing

tom