Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Early Brody Questions

Article about: I am a new collector and am wanting to add an early brody to my collection. But as I have never seen a real one I wanted to ask if there are things I should look for? Are there reproductions

Default Early Brody Questions

I am a new collector and am wanting to add an early brody to my collection. But as I have never seen a real one I wanted to ask if there are things I should look for? Are there reproductions that I may need to look out for being passed as originals? What have prices been like? Thank you for any and al help you can offer. Kevin

Default Re: Early Brody Questions

Can you be more specific? Are you lookng for a British or a US helmet?

Rob

Sorry for the late reply. I am wanting an early British brody. I only have one helmet and its a M1, vietnam era. But I am mostly a military firearms collecter and I figured since I have the original ammo belts, bayonets, cleaning gear and what not expand into full uniforms. But I just recieved my new 1913 BSA SMLE matching and I thought what better then an early Brody

Quote by gastrapsforme View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. I am wanting an early British brody. I only have one helmet and its a M1, vietnam era. But I am mostly a military firearms collecter and I figured since I have the original ammo belts, bayonets, cleaning gear and what not expand into full uniforms. But I just recieved my new 1913 BSA SMLE matching and I thought what better then an early Brody
    I would suggest you check this out first

Great war collection

which has some nice photos of early helmets, although the English is a bit wobbly at times

A basic breakdown of the patterns starts with the two experimental helmets, Type A and Type B. These were evaluated in combat and lead to a production helmet, usually called the War Office Pattern. This helmet was replaced with an improved version named Steel Helmet Mk I, which underwent slight modification, but lasted up until just before WW2.

The US Army was initially issued Steel Helmets Mk I, but an American version, the M1917, was produced. The most obvious difference being the chinstrap lugs are held on to the body with normal rivets instead of the British split rivets.

Pictures of these are all on the website i linked to.

Rob

Thank you I will check that out. Kevin

i have a very nice early one, will try to get some pics on tomorrow.

try and stay away from site like regimentals when researching prices, i seem to recall he had one on last year at around £900 (ouch)

max

Pics would be great. I looked at all the picture on the web site and atleast know the major differances between them now. Now I have to figure out which model I should get, a mk1 would prolly be cheapest but a war office pattern would be most correct frm what I saw. What are your guys thoughts, which helmet would best represent a british helmet that went with my earlier rifle? Thanks again, Kevin

Wink Re: Early Brody Questions

Quote by gastrapsforme View Post
    Pics would be great. I looked at all the picture on the web site and atleast know the major differances between them now. Now I have to figure out which model I should get, a mk1 would prolly be cheapest but a war office pattern would be most correct frm what I saw. What are your guys thoughts, which helmet would best represent a british helmet that went with my earlier rifle? Thanks again, Kevin
    If your gun is a 1913 dated example, it predates all of them, so take your pick Mk I helmets are available for a reasonable price, whereas the other types are expensive. British Mk Is and US M1917s used to turn up on ebay quite often from US sources, and although this has slowed down a bit, they do still show up in various states of preservation.

Rob

hi there,

unfortunately some of my helmets a bit burried at the mo, due to too much stuff in the way!

anyway heres the one i found....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early Brody Questions   Early Brody Questions  

Early Brody Questions