Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early WW1 British Cloth Gas Mask - Has anyone got one ?

Article about: by Gustaf B That is a very nice example, Rob. I am jealous, although I probably do not have any right to be jealous, as I do have a gas hood, I used to think that getting one of these would

Default Re: Early WW1 British Cloth Gas Mask - Has anyone got one ?

Quote by Gustaf B View Post
    That is a very nice example, Rob. I am jealous, although I probably do not have any right to be jealous, as I do have a gas hood, I used to think that getting one of these would satisfy me, but now I want one of each
    Best
    Gus
    No you don't have any right. You have a nice gas haversack, and i'm really jealous of that

Rob

Quote by RetroRespirators View Post
    Nice PH Gus. The P/PH helmet is to me probably along the lines of a collectors holy grail, that and the WW2 US Mickey Mouse mask.

-Dan
    Hope you don't mind me using your photos Dan This is a great thread though, I'm glad to know that some more examples of such rare masks are preserved in collections

Thanks for sharing the photos

Danny

Wow, my collecting goals just just got a lot bigger. Those are just neat. Thank you for sharing. Kevin

?

Cataloguing my Feldpost postcard collection, came across another card, this time a Daily Mail card showing the Gas Masks in wear being used by British Machine Gunners. Afraid it doesn't show much detail, but still its nice to have actual picture proof.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early WW1 British Cloth Gas Mask - Has anyone got one ?  

This is a classic photo, it is posed, and there is a companion to it taken from the front.
    Best
    Gsu

Here you go

Early WW1 British Cloth Gas Mask - Has anyone got one ?

Thanks

Danny

?

These masks gives the wearer a really creepy look. Great thread.

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Here you go

Thanks

Danny
    There is another shot from their right as well, but I can not find it.
    Best
    Gus

Thought some may like these---Here are some examples of Hypo, P and Ph helmets.

The hypo (May 1915) was single layer of flannel with the eye piece of the same material that Film stock is made out of. (the very first helmets had mica windows but these were not too good).

The last batch of Hypo helmets (July 1915) used the screw-on glass eye pieces that would be standard on P and Ph helmets. The Flannel was still single layer.

Both of the above helmets belonged/were issued to A/Sjt B Coates of the RE special Bde.

The carriers are original ("Cases, Helmet Flannel" as approved on 10 June 15 to the helmets. A very similar bag was issuued for the black vieling resipirator.

The P helmet (Aug 1915) was made of two layers of flannelette (cotton) with an added mouth piece (rare surviving rubber mouth piece). The inner layer of flannel is usually, not always, striped pajama flannel.

PH helmet (Jan 1916) is almost identical to P helmet. This example has an elongated portion of flannellette commonly found on PH helmets. This example has inner flannelette in pajama material and also the back panel.

In 1915 the material for helmets was changed to flannelette and not flannel.

This is a complete Helmet set with Inner bag and satchel. The satchel was introduced in August 1915 with the P Helmet. This variety is a single bag--sometimes known as the "old" Pattern. In around May/June 1916 and new pattern satchel was introduced with two pockets--one for the helmet and one for gas goggles. I have a later version and will post photos when I have a chance.

There was also a Gas helmet with integral Gas Goggles known as the PHG which was manufactured in very low numbers for Artillery crews and Machine-gunners etc.

Two ytypes of gas goggeles were introduced in Aug 1915 and both were made by J Spicer, Both were manufactured into 1917 in about 3 million per type Both were made concurrently.

Known as Spicer Goggles or "French" type and issued with Gas Helmets and SBRs.

Rubber Sponge Goggles---These were made with the same eye pieces as the P/PH Helmets--in this case reveresed but can be found either way. They either tied or had an elastic band. The tie versions seem to be associated with goggles issued with the Large Box Respirator.

Hope This is of interest

Joe Sweeney

Here is a comparison shot of the P/PH satchel introduced in Aug 1915 (left single pocket) and the one introduced in Late Spring 1916 with two pockets (One for gas goggles).

these became known as the "Old Pattern" and "New Pattern" respectively

Joe Sweeney
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early WW1 British Cloth Gas Mask - Has anyone got one ?  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast