Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?

Article about: Has anyone ever come across a MKI helmet with what appears to be a broad arrow ink stamp on the felt padding? The stamp under the brim is new to me too, it's M/A 137. Are these common stamps

?

Default Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?

Has anyone ever come across a MKI helmet with what appears to be a broad arrow ink stamp on the felt padding?

The stamp under the brim is new to me too, it's M/A 137.

Are these common stamps I've just never come across in the past?

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?   Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?  

?

Hello
    I suppose
    M for Maxfield (manufacturer) and A for Allen (steel supplier)
    steel batch 137

cordially
    Didier

?

Thanks Didier!

I’d have expected to see M & S for Maxfield and Sons but yes of course, it must be Maxfield and Edgar Allen supplying the steel.

Tony

Morning Tony,
    interesting and never seen the broad arrow on the felt padding.
    Regarding the stamp, what bichon says is correct, I show you this photo of a Mk1 helmet in my collection marked Maxfield/Allen and steel batch 133.

Cheers
    Roberto

?

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    Morning Tony,
    interesting and never seen the broad arrow on the felt padding.
    Regarding the stamp, what bichon says is correct, I show you this photo of a Mk1 helmet in my collection marked Maxfield/Allen and steel batch 133.

Cheers
    Roberto

And yours is rimless or has it lost its rim?

Yes the broad arrow has me stumped.

Hi Tony,
    my helmet is an example used and refurbished by US Army, I do not know if it is a rimless or has lost it before or during the reconditioning, I show you photos.
    Observing the top seems that is born so, if instead look at the bottom you notice a sign that may have been left by the edge, or simply it is the trace left by the paint casting in contact with the support surface.
    I never found the answer, maybe tell me what you think.

Cheers
    Roberto

Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?Ever seen a MKI helmet with broad arrow on padding & brim stamped M/A?

?

Roberto mate, looking under the brim it appears the rim may have been removed.

Have a look at this thread I came across when searching for the M/A stamp, it might be of interest as size differences between rimmed and rimless are shown however, it's not a definitive answer BRODIE BATCH NUMBERS - Other Equipment - Great War Forum

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    Roberto mate, looking under the brim it appears the rim may have been removed.

Have a look at this thread I came across when searching for the M/A stamp, it might be of interest as size differences between rimmed and rimless are shown however, it's not a definitive answer BRODIE BATCH NUMBERS - Other Equipment - Great War Forum

Tony
    Thanks Tony,
    good link full of information, I need a little time to translate it in Italian and understand all the details, but already from a first reading I understand that the assembly between edge raw shells, with type 1 and 2 liner, was something very common during the transition period towards the rimmed shells.
    You suggested me new points for deepen the topic.

Cheers
    Roberto