Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A few WW1 Royal Navy documents

Article about: A couple of WW1 era Royal Navy documents I uncovered in my grandfather's papers over Christmas. HMS Irvine was a minesweeper he served on, among other ships.

Default A few WW1 Royal Navy documents

A couple of WW1 era Royal Navy documents I uncovered in my grandfather's papers over Christmas. HMS Irvine was a minesweeper he served on, among other ships.

A few WW1 Royal Navy documentsA few WW1 Royal Navy documentsA few WW1 Royal Navy documentsA few WW1 Royal Navy documents

My grandfather is actually pictured in the second group of photos, of the boy's gun crew, standing back, right side wearing cap age 15, around 1915 on HMS Isis a cruiser.
    The Irvine is ship top left in first group. Also pictured docked.
    The written receipt is interesting, was this wages, or QS purchases?

The very small faint photo is of the Q ship "Lothbury/ Argo" which he served in 1917,

mpw
    ?

A great bit of family history you have there. My grandfather also served in the Royal Navy during WW1 as a stoker. Unfortunately no documents survive. My father joined up in 43 and luckily I have various document and photos of all the ships he served on. Do you have your grandfathers medals?

Mark.

Very nice photos - How young does your Grandfather look in the photo. I have all my Grandfathers medals and some pictures and stuff from WW2. He was a Lieutenant Surgeon on HMS Faulknor - he was in the Med, Arctic and at Narvik. I will create a post at some point about him.
    Nick

Sounds interesting Nick, yes you should start a thread. We have our grandfather's medals. Actually he served in the NZ Army in WW2 so the medals relate to both world wars. But he was in the RN until about 1935 including gunboat duty in China. He could tell some stories.

?

The receipt for 57 quid sounds like payment to the supplier for the whole ships supply of grog and baccy. Maybe a mess purchase?

Oz.