Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Framed large Welsh Guards photograph

Article about: by Mark Holden The short peak on his SD Cap strongly suggests WW1 period I would be 90% sure that the photo was taken during that period indeed may date to shortly after the formation of the

Default Framed large Welsh Guards photograph

Picked this up recently, a large framed photograph of an OR of the Welsh Guards, post their formation in 1915, but still WWI I think.

Still in its original period frame, sadly a bit of foxing on the image and I have cleaned it since the pics were taken and removed the trace of the price sticker. No name or other information on the reverse. He appears to have a swagger stick tucked up tight against his right arm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Framed large Welsh Guards photograph   Framed large Welsh Guards photograph  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    shame no name.
    Indeed Harry, but that is often the case as when it was in the family they knew who it was. I was offered a fairly good painting of a member of the RWF a few months back which also came with a group photo including him, but neither were named. Rather stupidly I did not buy it when I had the chance and it had gone when I went back after deciding to get it.
    Regards,

Jerry

mpw
    ?

If you are taking the photo out of the frame to renew the surround for an acid free one you might be lucky and find some info pencilled in on the rear of the photo. I have been lucky like that a couple of times now.

Mark.

Quote by mpw View Post
    If you are taking the photo out of the frame to renew the surround for an acid free one you might be lucky and find some info pencilled in on the rear of the photo. I have been lucky like that a couple of times now.

Mark.
    I took it out to scan the image and there was nothing to be seen. He will remain an unknown soldier.
    Regards,

Jerry

Always a shame when a photo can't be identified , still a nice photo.

?

Good pick-up Anon of a nice typical studio photo.

I agree that the time-span could be anywhere from 1915 onwards, maybe , even up to as late as 1938ish, but, I personally would aim for the earlier end of that.

As Mark has said above in #4, if you were to strip it down, you may be lucky and find some more info on the back or sides of the pic.

Is it worth the aggro/risk of damaging it? Only you can answer that one mate. Personally, I would be tempted to "leave it as is", unless I was 110% sure that I wouldn't cause any damage.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

The photo is glued to a card backing, so if there was anything it might have been directly on the reverse of the photo, but I doubt it can be removed from the card without damaging it.

It is now hanging on the wall in my study.
    Regards,

Jerry

Stylistically it is typical for WWI and the belt is the early WWI pattern of the P.08 web belt with the early flat slide for the belt. Sadly the image is not sharp enough to see which pattern his tunic is, though as Jimpy mentioned a similar tunic was worn from 1902 and on until and into WWII. The lack of medal ribbons might suggest it is pre 1919.
    Regards,

Jerry

The short peak on his SD Cap strongly suggests WW1 period I would be 90% sure that the photo was taken during that period indeed may date to shortly after the formation of the Welsh Guards.

Mark

Quote by Mark Holden View Post
    The short peak on his SD Cap strongly suggests WW1 period I would be 90% sure that the photo was taken during that period indeed may date to shortly after the formation of the Welsh Guards.

Mark

Those were my thoughts, probably 1915 or 1916 seems most likely to me.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast