Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

A Good Day P, 3 Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAF

Article about: Here is the best item I got today, this is the Memorial Cross ( also known as the Mothers Cross and Silver Cross) to 2nd Lt James Mills Johnston, He was from Athens Ontario, Joined the CEF i

?

Default A Good Day P, 3 Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAF

Here is the best item I got today, this is the Memorial Cross ( also known as the Mothers Cross and Silver Cross) to 2nd Lt James Mills Johnston, He was from Athens Ontario, Joined the CEF in Jan 1916, and at some point later Joined the RNAS, then the RAF.
    He was Killed at Croyden on May 18 1918 then the AVRO 504K Stalled and went into a spin.

I believe he was an instructor as he was a Lt and not listed as a Prop. Pilot,
    When I bought this in the morning, all I had was his name on the Cross, the fellow I made the deal with, I know, and he told me this Fellow was an Officer Killed in 1917....well I have the book, "The CEF Roll of Honour" that gave me some info, and with that I was able, through Canadian websites to find out all the rest, I even found a photo of him wearing his RNAS Hat.
    I will now go after his full records, but as they are now going on line, the files are closed to the public.

Does anyone live near Croyden? I would love a photo of his Grave to go with this He is Buried in the St Andrews Churchyard, Lincolnshire

SORRY about the last photo, I will explain that D-Day loading paperwork in another thread

Dean O
    Canada

A Good Day P, 3  Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAFA Good Day P, 3  Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAFA Good Day P, 3  Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAF
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Good Day P, 3  Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAF  

?

Not his gravestone, but a memorial, wonder why he was buried in Lincolnshire as it's along way from Croydon?

A Good Day P, 3  Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAF

?

Thank you for That!!! I have no Idea how he ended up Where ever His Mortal remains are

I do not know if this will work, but here is a photos of him, He was 21 and Far from Home.
    James Mills Johnston - The Canadian Virtual War Memorial - Veterans Affairs Canada

RIP

Dean O
    Canada

Sojourner
    ?

Hello,
    Ok, I know this is a long shot, but here goes...
    I am writing you regarding this medal you purchased ( belonging to a Canadian pilot from the Royal Flying Corps of W.W. 1)... Lt. James Mills Johnston. He was the youngest brother of my Grandfather ( John Wesley Johnston, who was a Chaplain overseas in W.W. 1.) John was the oldest of 12 children, and James Mills, the youngest.
    I came across this site by chance while doing some family research. I know that this is a long shot but, I am wondering if you still have the medal and would be willing to negotiate selling this so it could come back to a relative of James mills? I do not know how or why this medal left family hands ( there are a lot of members) but I would love to retrieve this if at all possible. If you no longer have it, do you know who has possession of it.
    Thank you for any info.

The links I have:
    Second Lieutenant James Mills Johnston (James Mills Johnston)

Chaplain John Wesley Johnston (John Wesley Johnston)..James oldest brother...who actually officiated in England at his brother's death)

Quote by CampX View Post
    Here is the best item I got today, this is the Memorial Cross ( also known as the Mothers Cross and Silver Cross) to 2nd Lt James Mills Johnston, He was from Athens Ontario, Joined the CEF in Jan 1916, and at some point later Joined the RNAS, then the RAF.
    He was Killed at Croyden on May 18 1918 then the AVRO 504K Stalled and went into a spin.

I believe he was an instructor as he was a Lt and not listed as a Prop. Pilot,
    When I bought this in the morning, all I had was his name on the Cross, the fellow I made the deal with, I know, and he told me this Fellow was an Officer Killed in 1917....well I have the book, "The CEF Roll of Honour" that gave me some info, and with that I was able, through Canadian websites to find out all the rest, I even found a photo of him wearing his RNAS Hat.
    I will now go after his full records, but as they are now going on line, the files are closed to the public.

Does anyone live near Croyden? I would love a photo of his Grave to go with this He is Buried in the St Andrews Churchyard, Lincolnshire

SORRY about the last photo, I will explain that D-Day loading paperwork in another thread

Dean O
    Canada

A Good Day P, 3  Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAFA Good Day P, 3  Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAFA Good Day P, 3  Canadian Memorial Cross RNAS, RAF

?

Message sent.

Dean O
    Canada

?

And here is another perfect example why I love this site!!!!!

I hope this all turns out for the best for both parties

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I will do everything I can to find this Medal to get it back to the Familiy,After I found out it was not a Combat Death I sold it, however I cannot remember if it went to one of the Air Force Collectors I know, or if I sold it online. As it was so long ago, I will have no record if I did sell it online.

However I have sent emails to 2 Air Force collectors I know to see if one of them bought it.
    Had I known at the time I had it, I would have offered it to the Family Member for the cost I paid for it.
    I feel very strongly about helping family members get their Military items back, after someone else in the family let it go.

I know I would have loved to get 2 Great Grandfather WW1 Medals but I do not know where they are or what name were on the Medals..I saw them as a child in Nova Scotia, still in their boxes, 2 pair Merchant Navy!!!

Dean O
    Canada

Sojourner
    ?

I agree....this is a large, extended family, with 12 children...3 sons went overseas, my grandfather , one, as a chaplain. Never knew the family of James Mills, as all the children/relatives, dispersed across Canada. Never met my Grandfather...but my mother ( who is now 90), always told us how her father (the chaplain) was called to do the service for a Canadian pilot who had died during training, and it turned out to be James Mills, his own brother. So when I came across this purely by accident, I realized that at some point, some family member had let it go. However this turns out...thank you.
    Anne

Quote by CampX View Post
    I will do everything I can to find this Medal to get it back to the Familiy,After I found out it was not a Combat Death I sold it, however I cannot remember if it went to one of the Air Force Collectors I know, or if I sold it online. As it was so long ago, I will have no record if I did sell it online.

However I have sent emails to 2 Air Force collectors I know to see if one of them bought it.
    Had I known at the time I had it, I would have offered it to the Family Member for the cost I paid for it.
    I feel very strongly about helping family members get their Military items back, after someone else in the family let it go.

I know I would have loved to get 2 Great Grandfather WW1 Medals but I do not know where they are or what name were on the Medals..I saw them as a child in Nova Scotia, still in their boxes, 2 pair Merchant Navy!!!

Dean O
    Canada