Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Grandfathers Marine uniform

Article about: Gary, here is a few terrible pics of my grandfathers uniform and a few of the extras.

A fantastic piece of Marine ( and personal) history in incredible condition! I would love to be able to display an Australian Great War uniform but these things are impossible to find. Thanks for sharing.

I would guess that the loose chevron is indeed his wound chevron.

One of the reasons his equipment was not returned was due to the chemical contamination. Once it impregnates the fabric it could remain dormant and if the pack for example was brushed up against something again after being exposed to the mustard gas, it could aggravate the gas again and he would be re exposed. Uniforms and equipment were mostly discarded and new uniforms and equipment reissued. Decontamination techniques were highly experimental and in many cases proved not effective..

The most likely and logical explanation for the lack of your Grandfathers initial issue items..

Smitty

christek thanks for the kind words. I am very fortunate to have such a collection with me today. I have been slowly studying and finally realizing how hard it is to find the Great War Marine stuff. I hope someday good fortune comes to you in your wishes. You never know,when you least look for it, it will jump right in your lap.

Smitty, very interesting that the gas could reactivate. Simply amazing. Read a story somewhere that in France several years ago a farmer was plowing his field and hit something which started smoking. He started to investigate and found he had hit a gas bomb or shell, and unfortunately, was overcome and passed away due to it. It makes you wonder what is still out there, mines, bombs, mustard gas, etc.

Fantastic uniform and bell crown visor cap!

That is some great family history! Congratulations on being the caretaker!

Best Regards,

Alan

?

I'm glad this got bumped to the top. I missed this on the first time around.
    What a fantastic piece of Marine Corps history. That would be the pride of any USMC collector.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I'd love to see the painted helmet, and any other headgear that you have from your Grandfather. Your grouping is the "stuff that dreams are made of" so to say, from a collector standpoint. Most collectors dream of finding a grouping such as what you have, once in their lifetime. Congratulations on your family having taken such good care of it over the years, and allowing you to be the current caretaker of it. Your Granfather's uniform has the German embroidered 2nd Division 5-point star with the Indian head on it, made during the occupation of the Rhine area in and around Coblenz, after the Armistice. Your grouping is quite valuable, from a historical perspective, a family perspective, and also from a financial perspective as well.

I'm a former museum director and curator, having served in that capacity for a large private historical foundation/museum for seven years. Tried to get into the military museum system several times many years ago, but gave up after the hiring freeze put on civilian employees early on in the first Obama administration, after my last interview for Fort Bragg.

I was very, very lucky to acquire 3-named WW1 USMC groupings long before I became a museum curator and director. I also acquired an incredible 2nd Division 17th Field Artillery medic grouping w/a German occupation painted 2nd Division patch, painted helmet, and painted gas mask bag, and an early issue 10,991 numbered Purple Heart. This last grouping was deacessioned from a museum in about 2003.

One of the USMC groupings was deacessioned from a museum back in the very early 1990's. It's a 6th Machine gun Batallion Marine w/the same style German embroidered patch as on your Grandfather's uniform, and it has a painted helmet w/EGA device, his medals, and paperwork from the state.

The other 2-USMC groupings came from families that I researched and approached politely, gently, and respectfully. One took 4-5 years to acquire, back in 1996. It was acquired from the vet's son, shortly after his mom had passed away. It's a 5th Marine, the forest green uniform w/no collar insignia, German made patch, and I also acquired his dress blues. No caps, and I missed out on the painted helmet, but got a photo of him wearing it along with his forest green uniform after he came back to the States.

The 2nd USMC group that I got from a family was acquired a few months after I contacted them. The vet had served in the Caribbean during WW1, and they had his forest green uniform as well.

Thanks again for showing your grandfather's uniform grouping. It's a privilege to be able to see it!

Best Regards,

Alan

It looks like it is great condition also. As a retired Marine of 21 years I'm glad to see something like this, thank you for sharing.

Can only echo what AZphil said. Thanks for sharing this lovely part of your family history on the forum. An amazing set of items to have from your Grandfather. I hope that your family never loses that glow of admiration for his service.

I want to thank you all for the kind comments about this uniform. I have been away taking care of my parents and have not had time to put all items together. As soon as possible I will do so. I am proud to have it and hope at least one of my two daughters understands what it represents. I will be posting more pics soon. Thanks again!!

You have the distinct honor of been the caretaker of your family history and I am proud to see someone as yourself having that privilege of been the one. Great grouping and as said by Phil I am glad this thread was bumped up again.

Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 06-29-2018 at 04:12 AM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3