MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Great Grand fathers Victory medal

Article about: This is the only WW1 medal I have belonging to my great grand father, I assume it is one from a medal trio, but this is the only one I have (its a shame). Can anyone give me some info about

?

Default Great Grand fathers Victory medal

This is the only WW1 medal I have belonging to my great grand father, I assume it is one from a medal trio, but this is the only one I have (its a shame). Can anyone give me some info about him? help would be much appreciated.

The info on the medal says, R-7329 PTE.J. MATTHIAS K.R.RIF.C.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Great Grand fathers Victory medal   Great Grand fathers Victory medal  

Great Grand fathers Victory medal   Great Grand fathers Victory medal  

Default Re: Great grand fathers victory medal

K. R. RIF. C. = King's Royal Rifle Corps.

Sorry, I can't really add much else...

He might only have had a pair, as the Star was only awarded to those who were overseas before a certain date. Agree with Mo that he was in the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Of any medal that you add to your collection, keep this one a cut above the others- It's a direct link to someone in your family that saw and fought in WWI, and you actually have a connection with it in some way. Sure there are other medals out there that may be worth more monetarily, but this one is truly priceless. I have yet to get a hold of my grandfather's Korean War medals and other items, so I can't help but feel a bit envious that you have a piece of your family's military history in your possession. Keep it safe.

Alex

Hi

Im not sure if you know or not but sadly he was killed in action.

Name:
    J Matthias

Rifleman

Service No:
    R/7329

Date of Death:
    13/03/1916

Regiment/Service:
    King's Royal Rifle Corps

10th Bn.
    Grave Reference
    II. D. 14.

CWGC - Casualty Details

Here is some information about the King's Royal Rifle Corps:

The King's Royal Rifle Corps in 1914-1918

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron Stockton; 03-27-2013 at 04:08 PM.

?

Thanks for all your help

Hi Adam, here is your Great Grandad Joseph's medal card index entry.

From this you can see he set foot in France on 21/7/1915 and was entitled to the 1914-15 Star and the British War Medal.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Great Grand fathers Victory medal  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks again Ade, I thought it was part of a trio. I have the ribbon for the British war medal but that is it, they must have been lost over the years.

Default Re: Great Grand fathers Victory medal

Joseph Matthias was born in Woodhouse Mill, Yorshire and enlisted into the 10th Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps (KRRC) in Nottingham. He was killed in action in France & Flanders, 13th March 1916.

He was married to Ann (nee Sunman) in 1900 and had at least six children, Evelyn Alice (3 years) & Albert (8 months) being the only known survivors by 1911. I am not aware fo the causes of death for the other children or their names etc. Prior to joining the army, Joseph was a "Trimmer in hosiery" - not exactly the obvious background to become a frontline infantryman! However, it would appear that prior to marriage, the Matthias family were heavily involved in the millnery and hosiery trade around Nottingham where they lived. That said, Joseph's father, Samuel was a coal miner.

Hopefully this will add a little more flavour to the story of Joseph.

?

Default Re: Great Grand fathers Victory medal

this forum is really second to none,the help time ,patience and understanding given here is unbeleivable,some super background to place on paper along side the medal, regards george

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast