Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

H.G.R 1916 Horseshoe Case

Article about: Hello i got this leather case today at the flea market It's made by H.G.R (Hepburn Gale and Ross) i think it is either British or Australian

Default H.G.R 1916 Horseshoe Case

Hello i got this leather case today at the flea market
    It's made by H.G.R (Hepburn Gale and Ross) i think it is either British or Australian H.G.R 1916 Horseshoe CaseH.G.R 1916 Horseshoe CaseH.G.R 1916 Horseshoe CaseH.G.R 1916 Horseshoe Case

Nice piece!

The interior pocket is for nails, and the case would have been attached to the girth strap or alternately a troopers 'V' girth on the saddle.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Sorry for those pics they dont look that good :P And the stamp is reversed for some reason :/
    Anyway thanks for replying and pointing out what the "pocket" was used for )
    Is the maker British or Australian?

It's British. The company was running for over 200 years under various guises before closing in the 1970's.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I like it...very good piece, shame it isnt Australian marked ALH

Thanks i like it's leather :P

One last question is this from the ww1 cavalry or just a private purchase item?

I would think without the WD stamp it would be private purchase...really nice item

I will try to get better pictures of it because i saw that you guys were interested in it
    Guess i'll see " War Horse " today :P

H.G.R 1916 Horseshoe CaseH.G.R 1916 Horseshoe CaseH.G.R 1916 Horseshoe CaseH.G.R 1916 Horseshoe CaseH.G.R 1916 Horseshoe Case

Here are some "better" pictures @ned @wizardman