Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet identification?

Article about: If memory serves me, the Brits punch a number of small holes, near the bail, on helmets that did not pass quality control, and then issued to things like Civil Defense. Could be 1,2 or 3 hol

?

Default Helmet identification?

I found a few interesting items this weekend and wanted to ask for some help. I found this Helmet and have no clue when or where it is from or what the insignia means on the front? i would guess WWI?.

I found YJ 124 stamped under the front of the helmet, On the front is a green tree of some kind. There are some rust spots like by the stamped numbers and letters what can i do to stop that? or cleaning it is that a no no?. Thanks for any help.

?

Default Re: Helmet identification?

Looks like a US Army 91st Division marked helmet.

?

Thanks for the reply!, i searched after you posted the info and got some nice info>

WWIH-013
    WWI US Army 91st Division Painted Helmet

91st Infantry "Wild West" (also "Pine Tree") Division. .

In September 1918, the division's first operation was in the St. Mihiel Offensive in France. Serving under the U.S. Army's V Corps, the division fought in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive and successfully helped to destroy the German First Guard Division and continued to smash through three successive enemy lines.

Twelve days before the end of WWI, the division, as part of the VII Corps, helped drive the Germans east across the Escaut River. The division was awarded separate campaign streamers for its active role in the Lorraine, Meuse-Argonne and Ypres-Lys campaigns.
    In this condition what is a helmet like this worth?.

Its a british helmet in my opinion. . . i 'm not a pro

It's definitely a U.S. WWI helmet. In that condition, I'd say around ~$150 (broken chinstrap brings it down in my honest opinion...). Maybe a bit more if you can find a buyer who is specifically looking for a 91st Div. marked lid.

very nice.as joe's already said its a US made m1917.this stamp maker is less common than the usual ZO or ZY but very original and complete very well done on a neat find,regards dave.

That's a nice helmet with a nicely painted insignia. Good find. Hope yougot a good deal Welcome to the forum.

?

Thanks for the info!!!, i paid $20 for it.

Quote by Jim73 View Post
    Thanks for the info!!!, i paid $20 for it.
    For that price, you stole it my friend.....great find! I wonder what the small hole punched next to the left bail was used for?

Russ

?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    For that price, you stole it my friend.....great find! I wonder what the small hole punched next to the left bail was used for?

Russ
    I was wondering the samething?.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast