Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identify WW1 Regiment

Article about: Hello All, I'm fairly new to all this so I apologize if this isn't the correct forum for this type of question. I recently came across the two photograph post cards attached below. I'm prett

Misershoard
    ?

Default Help Identify WW1 Regiment

Hello All, I'm fairly new to all this so I apologize if this isn't the correct forum for this type of question. I recently came across the two photograph post cards attached below. I'm pretty sure that they're of a British Cavalry Regiment of some type. On the reverse of the trooper on horseback card it says "Tom, taken at Clacton in 1914 in training", The other simply "A great war picture". The troopers in each have the same insignia on their caps shoulders "NDH". Can anyone shed a little more light on their unit etc.etc..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Identify WW1 Regiment   Help Identify WW1 Regiment  

Attached Images Attached Images Help Identify WW1 Regiment 

?

Default Re: Help Identify WW1 Regiment

Could be Royal North Devon Hussars, a yeomanry regiment. Not a regular cavalry regiment.

Misershoard
    ?

Hello BobS, I think you could well be correct as I've another photo of young Tom in 1921 on his honeymoon in Devon!! Regards Paul

Hi Misershoard, nice cards Yes, they are definately the North Devon Hussars. I collect postcards & insignia to them (living in North Devon myself). They were in Clacton on east coast guard duty before being posted to Galipolli. They had a busy war for Yeomanry. After Galipolli they served in the Suez area & then went on to fight to fight in Palistine & France & Flanders (as the 16th Devons (Yeo. Battalion)).

If you decide to move them on I'd be pleased to add them to my collection.

Cheers,

Richard.